• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warped boondocker header, whats the fix? Found a new gasket

i confirned the orders today and they will be cut monday and shipped to me on tuesday. I should see them by friday.

Prep for the gaskets?

So you just belt sand the surface flat, check it on a glass and seal it up with this gasket? Any other special prep needed?

Wes

I took it to a motor shop in town that builds alot of them and they had a sweet 15 inch wide belt sander. The hard part bout sanding it is the pipe bend is soo close the end of the flange that it has to be sanded perpendicularly to the header. So what we found is that you dont apply alof of force, just let it sit flat and it do its job. I did bend the outer tabs a bit flat so that there wasnt material taken from the likely areas that warped, the two outer lowercorners. Junior says that this gasket will seal up to a 1/16 of an inch .060 of an inch. This gaskett has a 50% squish rate. It comes 1/8th thick. So there is no need to sand the header perfect.

Sounds good!

Sounds good. I picked up some of the locking header bolts from Paul @ impulse to hold that sucker to the head as well. :-o

JIM said:
I took it to a motor shop in town that builds alot of them and they had a sweet 15 inch wide belt sander. The hard part bout sanding it is the pipe bend is soo close the end of the flange that it has to be sanded perpendicularly to the header. So what we found is that you dont apply alof of force, just let it sit flat and it do its job. I did bend the outer tabs a bit flat so that there wasnt material taken from the likely areas that warped, the two outer lowercorners. Junior says that this gasket will seal up to a 1/16 of an inch .060 of an inch. This gaskett has a 50% squish rate. It comes 1/8th thick. So there is no need to sand the header perfect.

Looks good!

Mid-season update

Gaskets are working flawlessly so far. I have pulled my turbo off twice and reused the square gasket, Not the long header one but the turbo gasket. Even after a couple squishes, the gasket is much thicker than the metal one I had before. Have not noticed any header leaks and with Pauls locking bolts no loose header. If you want to eliminate potential problems, I would do both the locking bolts and the gaskets. They are both relatively cheap to do.

Wes

Back