• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

warranty coverage

yamahatd

Expert
The track on my 07 apex RTX delaminated and caused damage to my heat exchangers. It only had 1500 mi. on it when this happened. Yamaha has told me because I studded my track, 144 down the middle close to the rails, I'm on my own. While looking at the damage I noticed the limiter strap was also broken. I told Yamaha that the broken limiter strap caused my track failure. The track delaminated on the side that the limiter strap broke. To much coincidence for me. I've read a number of posts that state the limiter straps on the RTX are known to break. With only 1500 mi. on my studded track I never thought of a failure, 5000 mi, on a studded track maybe, not 1500 mi.
I bought it as a leftover this year and also purchased the 4 year warranty.
I have had a number of discussions with Yamaha service and have not gotten a resolution to my coverage. I stand that the broken limiter strap caused the failure not the studs. I have sent pictures to Yamaha and now they want the track shipped to them. In the mean time I'm missing out on all the good spring riding that we have this year.
Anyone else have this damage happen to them? If so, please help me build my case.

Yeah your right. I have several that delaminated badly damageing heat exchangers and exhaust systems and were under 3000 miles. I know they use the old well you drilled it and voided the warranty but from an engineering standpoint the cords that get cut when studding may affect the track strength through the cross section but I don't buy the fact that the outer surface delaminates from the inner surface is caused by studs. This is a bonding failure and there are way to many posts on this site backing this up with both studded and unstudded tracks.

This is an issue that in my mind needs attention. The manufacturers are selling trail sleds with 150 + hp for use on trails that are hard packed, groomed and often ice covered. They don't give us an option to buy a studdable (pre-drilled & re-inforced or pre-studded ice ripper) track.

My Apex was almost un-ridable without studs. When I got the suspension dialed in and the handling where it need to be I could not keep the tail planted through tight corners and with the rider forward & higher seat position the sled wanted to step out (loose) and would get almost sideways then bite the edge of the track and try to roll the sled on it's side.

I own 4 sleds now all are studded and any tracks I replace witll be with Kimpex shotguns that are pre-drilled and re-inforced.

My last ripsaw on my RX had 7000 studded miles on it and track was in great shape. Not one pull thru and never delaminated. I say it's your limiter strap breaking that caused what happened.
Good luck with Yamaha. This is where a dealer really makes a difference!

pics of track

Here's pics of YAMAHATD'S track.

Attachments

• track1.jpg
    track1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 94
pics of track

Here's pics of YAMAHATD'S track.

Attachments

• track1.jpg
    track1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 83
  • track2.jpg
    track2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 83
  • limiter.jpg
    limiter.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 83
Just looking at different angles here, how to you know that the track didn't cause the limiter strap to break?

I wouldn't send "track pic 2" to Yamaha. If you look in the upper right corner the Yellow backed stud is missing his friend. So unless I'm seeing things, you've also got a pull through on the other side of the track. With 1500 miles that seems really odd. While I don't know the whole situation, I must admit I haven't seen a track that looks quite like yours, I do question the quality of the installed studs. Again not pointing the finger just trying to understand what happend. What type are they, any one else with these have feed back? I've heard good and bad about plastic backers, but don't know about specific brands. Either way I think the delamination is a sign that something was defective in the track as even with the tears or pull throughs I've seen it's always been a complete rip not a long strip of half the thickness of the track. Thats what scares me about the single ply tracks (XP) in your situation the track would have just come completely off, that or wadded up in the front. Imagine being on your sled doing 50+ with no track.

The studs are Mack studs and the backers are Saber. I've have good luck with the plastic backers up until now. The missing stud is a mystery to me as well. With all the snow this year conditions are not to blame.
To answer the limiter strap question. How does a peace of the track end up inside the suspension when the track is rotating. The heat exchangers I can see, not the strap.
Nevertheless, the track had such a failure like I've never seen, I still lean towards that limiter letting go and racking the rails for a period of time and high MPH's. I had just come off a 600 mi. tour and the next weekend I was going accross a lake and POW. Thought I blew a belt, I guess not.
Other brands warranty their tracks even if studded. Why not Yamaha?
I'll say it again 1500 mi. not 5000 mi. :o|

It's all in your dealer. I have seen dealers warranty things that I could not believe. I have seen dealers that plain suck. They just don't want to deal with the warranty is what it boils down too.

That track really let loose!

Yamahatd, check with Cycle Design up here in Central Mass. I'm with Snowdog, the right dealer should be able to get anything under warranty. They were able to warranty a set of Limiters for my 07, where as Keene Motorsucks would not. they used the same line, " studded track". Good thing I only have two more "free' services with Keene, then I'm moving over to Cycle Design. Oval

Problem is if he already submitted a claim with dealer 1...dealer 2 will not be able to do a thing. The VIN is already in Yamaha's hands and it's been turned down already. If the dealer never turned anything in and did not even try...then he has a chance. But it sounds like he is already chatting with Yamaha direct.

Blue oval.
Thanks for the info. I used some of your set up I found on this site. I'm about the same size and ride in the north east.
I bought the sled at Nashua motor sports so I thought they would give the best service for a claim. The service manager Kevin is great, I just wish yamaha would come to their senses and see that it's clearly the limiter strap and not the studs.
I'm going to the show in Manchester,NH on Monday and hope to run into a factory rep. I'm bring my pictures.

You can bring a complete photo album to the show it's not gonna do anything for you, but get your name & phone # taken and someone will get in touch.
I'm saying your issue is because of your studs, WHY, because I've rode all day / weekend with broken straps and no issues, but no studs either.

Snodog thanks for your input.
Throttle jockey,
Even with only 1500 mi. you really think it's the studs huh? I've ridden with studs for well over 10yrs and have never had a track fail like this. I've had studs on the outer belt pull and rip, but not so bad as what happened this time. I also have never had a limiter strap go either. I don't know when the strap let go. Riding all day is one thing, but 400 mi. could have been the case.
Thanks for the input, it's all good :Rockon:

Back