• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what extension and.......

ApexRtxGuy

Expert
thinking of keeping my apex and lenghtning to 136" a few questions.

1. what extensions
2. what extro drives
3. which 1.5 track
4. I am haveing shocks revalved if i do this to accomidate my weight (300 lbs) when im suited up.

5. i ride hard and like to jump and drift bust. are rail extensions a bad idea for that style riding?

thanks in advance. :4STroke:

If you are going to be jumping, I would go with a HARTMAN tunnel ext. His kits "kick up" allowing for more travel when tail landing. I wouldn't use a stock 136 ext. They are low and do not kick up. Of course, I run a differant suspension than you.

I'm having real good luck with my Wahl Bros. racing extrovert drivers. ( On a Boosted Attak ) They are 9t and I run a 144X1.5 Crossover. Do you plan on studding? If so, you have to run 8t drivers with a lug that high. I chose not to run studs in my track. I am however thinking about another track to stud. ( 1.25 X 144 ) This was I won't have to change drivers.

Also, with 1.5" track, I had to remove my tunnel protectors. The track rubbed. I am running an Expert X, so I'm not sure if a stock suspension would make any difference.

I run the Crossover. I like the track very much. Does great on hard packed and loose snow trails and even better in the deeper stuff. For next season, I am thinking about installing the track backwards. It looks as though it may be more aggressive that way. And with a boosted sled, I need all the traction I can get.

I can't comment on what rail ext. to use, as I haven't ran a stock Rear suspension for a few years now, but with my expert, ( 121 with 136" Extension ) Holds up just fine. Of course, my rails are a bit thicker than the Yami rails. I have had no problems with tail landings. My extensions have 6 bolts per side to hold them on and in place as compared to 4 bolts you will have with the stock suspension.

LazyBastard said:
1CrazySledder said:
For next season, I am thinking about installing the track backwards. It looks as though it may be more aggressive that way. And with a boosted sled, I need all the traction I can get.
You shouldn't. You can peel the track if its on backwards because of the direction the cords are wrapped.

Ahhh. I didn't think of that. Good point.

ApexRtxGuy said:
thinking of keeping my apex and lenghtning to 136" a few questions.

1. what extensions
2. what extro drives
3. which 1.5 track
4. I am haveing shocks revalved if i do this to accomidate my weight (300 lbs) when im suited up.

5. i ride hard and like to jump and drift bust. are rail extensions a bad idea for that style riding?

thanks in advance. :4STroke:

1. Hartman tunnel extension. Tracksusa rail extension.
2. Ski-Doo extrovert drivers, partno 504152503
3. -
4. -
5. No problem, the Tracksusa extension integrates very well with the stock rails.

I have the muffinworks powdercoated extention. Worked out well!

Dan

Attachments

• tunnel ext.jpg
    tunnel ext.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 119
  • tunnel 2.jpg
    tunnel 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 82
The Muffinwork extension is very strong and durable. My ridding buddy has one, and tail landed his pretty hard, everything bent but the extension. LOL Maxdlx

If you do end up keeping your RTX and extending it to a 136", I think that you should be pretty happy with the results. If you haven't seen my sled yet, click on my signature line for the link to the 136" RTX based sled that I put together last year.

I had some new rails made instead of using the rail extensions. The rails I had made are actually made by the company that Ulmer uses for their new rails this year. I believe that these rails are stronger than the stock rails are.

I went with the Muffinworks tunnel extension, and think it's a really nice piece. You can get it powdercoated to match your black tunnel, and I think it looks better than the stock Attak or LTX style extension that Yamaha uses. I'm running the Skidoo 9-tooth extrovert drivers with great results. 23/40 gearing.

You've got a lot of good choices available for 1.5" lug tracks. Track choice should depend on the conditions you're going to ride the most, and how you want the sled to handle. I chose the Camoplast Freeride, which is a 14" wide track. I've run this style track on a few 136" sleds, and it really hooks up if you don't like to run studs.

I'm really impressed with the results so far of the 136" Pro-Active skid. If you choose to move ahead with this project, feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm not sure if Yamaha will offer a 136" version of this skid in '09 or not, but from my experience it's worth the effort.

thanks for the input vx1r i am 99% sure i will be doing this next summer :Rockon: and have talked with ulmer and my even consider his new rails 144" with a 6 degree tip up to match the new x-tx. i am also thinking that i will not need the 1 1/2" track as most of my riding is in the midwest on groomed trail. but would like the span for when the trails get rough. i will be pming you when i start to tear into it im sure.

thanks apexrtx

I already have rail extensions. I was going to stretch mine next fall. After riding my Dad's attak I really couldn't feel the difference of the longer track. IMO to make it worth while it needs to be atleast a 144. I will just sick with a 121.

yamahaforlife said:
Dano, is that a 136" or a 144" ZX2? Your sled looks great! That powdercoated extention is the way to go with the black tunnel. Is the grab bar included? Again nice work!

thanks! I have the 136 kit and the grab handle is the stock handled. I just flipped it over and painted it black. I also added hand grips on the bar.

Dan

Back