• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What grade of oil is everyone using??

if your rad is clean, that might help but you really need to watch the oli type you put in. your grizz still has a wet clutch that will slip with the wrong type of oil. mine was slipping with anything other than yammys approved semi synthetic and i was using a wet clutch aproved synthetic too.

20W-50 would not be the preferred oil for a small engine and might just cause engine damage. 0W-40 is more appropriate for an ATV in your region and maybe a 0W-50 BUT never a 20W-50, leave the to the big hot running Harleys. Engine oil has little effect on over heating but a synthetic oil can lower operating temps because it can cool better. Use the viscosity your owners manual recommends for the ambient temperature of your area, the lower the W viscosity they better the oil will protect a cold engine. The higher the W number (20W for instance) the more friction and effort it takes to pump it at cold temps which can cause engine damage.

Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).

Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30).

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils e.g. 0W-40, 10W-30. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil.

yamaha made a 10w-50 oil now and you have to use that yamalube now due to the wet clutch system. 20w-50 will not hurt this motor, i run a 20w50 in my motor cycle and I do the same on my 09 grizzly. I questioned 2 mechanics with 15 years plus experience from two different 5 star dealers and both had said 20w-50 will not do any harm. Majority should go with 10w-50. My set up is 20w-50 in the spring summer, and 10w-40 or 50 in the fall/winter. This is IMO.

I used 20-50 in my 660 in hot weather. I think that you should let it run a few minutes when first starting it up to let the oil warm up and thin out a little before riding off.

Back