• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what problems do you have watch for on 05 VECTOR

patonattack

Hi I am just getting back into sledding I have picked up a 05 Vector with 7000 kms and 06 Attak with 8000 kms the Vector has a rattling noise from the primary clutch area at idling does anyone have any idea how to correct this problem, thanks

have the update done, it makes a huge difference. also with those miles check to see how worn your weight bushings are. 4stroke bushings seem to be made out of plastic and dont last as long or seem as tight as the older style fiber bushings. the let the weight move back and forth a bit at idle. you can replace the weight bushings and do the update for 50 worth of parts and about 1-2hrs labor depending on the shop.

the update is new slide pucks with a rubber O ring on the brake side of the clutch spider. it keeps the brake side puck in contact with the outer sheave slide at all times.. makes it alot quieter.

The rear shock in the 05 Vector is a sealed hydraulic unit that is totally inadequate. The proactive is a decent skid but needs a better rear shock.

Addict said:
The rear shock in the 05 Vector is a sealed hydraulic unit that is totally inadequate. The proactive is a decent skid but needs a better rear shock.

I'll second that. If you ride aggressively, toss that stock shock and put a nice adjustable one on before you collapse a vertibrae on a big bump. Best upgrade I've done. All in all, mine's been very trouble free.

I've had zero problems with mine so far (4800 miles) except a couple of boogey bearings that locked up. I agree the rear shock needs replacement. Things to watch for are exhaust donuts, stator at 6000 miles, and drivetrain bearings.

All the bearings are poorly greased when new and you either need to replace the entire idler wheels with replacable bearings or do like I do and remove every 2-3000 k and them - pop the caps, clean them thoroughly and repack them or you are in for ildler problems. Doing what I said is a piece of cake and just as good as replacing them. Be careful poping the caps so you don't damage the seals and don't overpack. This is a crappy set up by Yamaha and poor factory greasing to booth

twomorestrokes said:
Addict said:

I'll second that. If you ride aggressively, toss that stock shock and put a nice adjustable one on before you collapse a vertibrae on a big bump. Best upgrade I've done. All in all, mine's been very trouble free.

Werd.

After rebuilding the stock ProAction 2 times I upgraded and got an RTX skid with the clicker HPG. Can't wait to try it out.

Also, the oil reservoir has a tendency to leak, pay attention to it.

The rear stocker on the '05 ProActive is a sealed steel unit, not rebuildable. The rebound dampening is even worse than the compression dampening. Zero.

Didn't the '05 Vector and the RTX both use the same ProActive skid, just with different shocks/ springs?

RTX skid

Strokes,
I think the RTX used a mono the first year then went to the pro-active.

I have the Ohlins clicker in my Vector but I think the Apex seat that you helped me through was even better than that shock. Love the riding position. Great sled. Just bought an 06 for the wife.

Geezer

Thanks Geez, I didn't know that. I seem to remember now reading that some early RTX owners had concerns that the new mono skid was a little plush for the riding conditions that the RTX was meant for. Nice skid though...

I agree, it's tough trying to single out a favorite upgrade, as I did them all to work together and it is a much more enjoyable sled for me. I like the new position much better as well. When the '06 Nytros came out a few years back after I had my Vector for a season, I wanted one but figured it would be more sensible to just swap a few parts to alter what I had into what I was after. Tried that Nytro windshield a couple times, but it's usually just on display in the garage. :brrr:

Back