• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What stud is this?

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
Finally got to put some real miles on my winder, the idiot who installed the studs (I bought the sled used) didn't tighten any of them down and I am an idiot for not checking.... Long story short I lost 20 studs in 500 miles.

Can anyone tell what model stud these are so I can replace the missing ones? They look a lot like woody's grand master's but those are single ply studs and this is a rip II track...

AcgjoVo.jpg

They look like Gold diggers to me.

I guess the reason I didn't really consider the gold diggers is the color difference. The gold diggers are shown as having a brass appearance in every photo I can see online, these are very much so bare steel.

Finally got to put some real miles on my winder, the idiot who installed the studs (I bought the sled used) didn't tighten any of them down and I am an idiot for not checking.... Long story short I lost 20 studs in 500 miles.

Can anyone tell what model stud these are so I can replace the missing ones? They look a lot like woody's grand master's but those are single ply studs and this is a rip II track...

AcgjoVo.jpg
I know when i was talking with bruce from cb performance he did suggest single ply studs because they have a bigger head and would result in less pull through

I know when i was talking with bruce from cb performance he did suggest single ply studs because they have a bigger head and would result in less pull through

I am still unclear, having a friend who is up by the sled measure the plate and head today, that should give a pretty good idea of what studs they are.

studs can loosen over time, they need to be checked periodically.

I wouldn't expect a sled with 1800 miles total to have loose studs already though. I put studs in my old Polaris Fusions and never had to touch them for 6k miles on each sled.

if those are aluminum tower nuts they will loosen, especially if overtightened. they wear against the backer and loosen. I use steel nylon insert nuts

I guess the reason I didn't really consider the gold diggers is the color difference. The gold diggers are shown as having a brass appearance in every photo I can see online, these are very much so bare steel.
That brass appearance you speak of goes away on gold diggers. The finish wears off FAST.... IMO the outer finish has gotten cheaper and or changed some from years past.. Still run nothing but Gold diggers in my sleds.. Tried and true studs. They look like gold diggers with the bigger back plates used in the single ply tracks. Kind of hard to tell in photo

AcgjoVo.jpg
Not gold digger. Probably signature series if it isn't the grand master.

Not gold digger. Probably signature series if it isn't the grand master.

My buddy removed a stud, it appears to be the grand master, it has the 6 anti spin lines on the head, it looks like the signature doesn't have those. He also noted "no way the nuts were backing off, have to be breaking them off" I have never had issues with this on past sleds but it could be possible...

My buddy removed a stud, it appears to be the grand master, it has the 6 anti spin lines on the head, it looks like the signature doesn't have those. He also noted "no way the nuts were backing off, have to be breaking them off" I have never had issues with this on past sleds but it could be possible...
We've been tightening studs often on machines coming through my shop with loctite or replace nut. They do back off.

We've been tightening studs often on machines coming through my shop with loctite or replace nut. They do back off.

I will tighten them all down and loctite them on. Is there any possibility that they may have been broken off completely? I know I bent a few on rocks running in such marginal snow conditions.

Not sure what you mean. If they are broken off its pretty obvious....?

Back