• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What type Battery is stock in Apex?

Dreams_of_Apex

Extreme
Website
www.facebook.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2012 Summit SP 800r ETEC.
So I just picked up a Noco Genius 3500 Battery charger/Tender, and it has 2 different settings for charging/maintaining smaller Batteries. first is Normal(most battery types except AGM), second setting is Cold/AGM.

I was hoping that someone would know for sure, without having to rip the sled apart to check the Battery. I am pretty sure that most Sled/ATV batteries are AGM (Absorption Glass Mat). and that I should maintain the battery with this method, but wanted to confirm before I do and potentially damage the battery from months of being maintained at the higher Voltage that the AGM mode puts out.

OEM yusa batteries(What is in our yami's) are lead acid.....not AGM, but I am not sure what the difference would be on the charger. Have never heard of a charger having different settings for these two types. Lithium....yes. different charger.

Thanks, I am not sure, just read the manual, they have a separate charge setting for Cold Temps or AGM batteries, and from what I understand it send out a slightly higher Voltage.

I'll just keep it set at the Normal setting and go from there. Thanks guys.

When you guys are ready for a replacement battery I would recommend upgrading to a larger battery like I did. If you leave out the foam spacer you can fit a 20 series battery.

Here is a link to a thread that I started on my upgraded battery choice:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... m&start=30

I considered the Deka ETX-14 which is the exact same size as the original Yuasa and which has 220 CCA which is 20 CCA more than the original but I wanted to put in the largest most powerful battery that would fit properly.

I considered the Deka ETX-20L which is larger and will fit without the foam spacers but it is only available with the L polarity which is backwards.

In the end I chose the Interstate CYTX20H-BS which is the largest battery that will fit properly (6 7/8" wide x 3 7/16" thick x 6 1/8" tall) and which has 310 CCA.

This battery is the same size as the the outside dimensions of the foam spacers. It has the correct polarity orientation and it fits perfectly with the cover on it.

I beleive all of these cross reference to the stock Yuasa battery

Champion-14BS
Deka-ETX14
Delco-GTX14-BS
Energizer-2420500
GNB-14-BS
GS-ZYI-GTX14-BS
Interstate-YTX14-BS
Koyo-YTX14-BS
Motocross-M3RH4S
Napa-740-1886
Power-Sonic-PTX14-BS
Sears-44017
Wal-Mart-ES14BS
Yacht-CTX14-BS
Yuasa-YTX14-BS

Yes, as I said above, the 20 series will fit if you take out the foam spacers. Watch the polarity however so that it can face forward properly.

sleddog66 said:
OEM yusa batteries(What is in our yami's) are lead acid.....not AGM, but I am not sure what the difference would be on the charger. Have never heard of a charger having different settings for these two types. Lithium....yes. different charger.

Actually, they ARE AGM!

Also, best charged with an Optimate or other brand compatible w/AGM. (A regular charger - even a "trickle" charger - will boil out the small amount of acid in these.

Always charge these small batteries at 2 amps or less or they will overheat and warp the plates which will short them out.

Grimm said:
YUASA YTX20H-BS fit mine. 310 cca! ;)!

Excellent choice. As I mentioned, this is what I put in my '07 Apex. I am surprised that your '11 Apex needed a replacement battery already.

Dreams_of_Apex said:
So I just picked up a Noco Genius 3500 Battery charger/Tender, and it has 2 different settings for charging/maintaining smaller Batteries. first is Normal(most battery types except AGM), second setting is Cold/AGM.

I was hoping that someone would know for sure, without having to rip the sled apart to check the Battery. I am pretty sure that most Sled/ATV batteries are AGM (Absorption Glass Mat). and that I should maintain the battery with this method, but wanted to confirm before I do and potentially damage the battery from months of being maintained at the higher Voltage that the AGM mode puts out.

I use the NOCO's religiously at my shop, and you dont have to worry about what you hook them to, they'll adjust themselves to whatever you connect them to. They'll also protect themselves if you hook them up backwards, or happen to touch the contacts together with the charger plugged in. I've had a couple other "maintainer" type chargers that have either went bad, burned up or had other failures, and never once have I had a complaint about the NOCO. I've even hooked them to a battery that I thought was shot, and ended up having the charger bring the battery back and after 2 more years, it's still in use today.
Hence the "genius" part I guess..

Blue Dave said:
Grimm said:
YUASA YTX20H-BS fit mine. 310 cca! ;)!

Excellent choice. As I mentioned, this is what I put in my '07 Apex. I am surprised that your '11 Apex needed a replacement battery already.

Well I did a boo boo and killed the stocker.

My sled was turning over rather slow yesterday, it still started but never the less I decided to try the Interstate 20 series that Bluedave suggested. The temp dropped down to almost -30c last night & the sled turned over like it was summer, lol!!!! :sled1:

ranger1 said:
My sled was turning over rather slow yesterday, it still started but never the less I decided to try the Interstate 20 series that Bluedave suggested. The temp dropped down to almost -30c last night & the sled turned over like it was summer, lol!!!! :sled1:

Awesome! I sure feel more confident with the 20 series battery in mine. It cranks fast even when well below zero F. 310 CCA makes a guy not worry so much especially when these sleds are near impossible to pull start in below zero temps.

Back