• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's the deal with AC skids???

4Fighter

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'07 Attak GT
Lastnight I rode an '00 ZR 600 and it rode like a couch :D I can see why so many have opted for this conversion :wink:

To those of you who have done this: How much does an AC skid cost and where did you get yours? If you got it from a salvage yard or used snowmobile parts outlet, I'd like to know the who, where, and how much details.

I'd also like to know what needs to be done/bought (templates, cutting, welding, drilling, etc...) On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest, how does a task like this rate?

Details...details...details Please :!:

Got the ZR skid at Haydays back in Sept. Paid $250.00 for it. You can swap it out in a night. Send me a PM and I'll email you the info.

I bought mine off ebay for a little over $200. Its a '99 with freshly rebuilt shocks, in great condition. Its not in my Yamaha...yet...but it may be in the future. Right now I have my factory suspension working pretty well...I'll have to finish my ZRT and ride it to see how it feels.

Jim

wont ride as good but will transfer weight better im in stallin a 2002 sc10-3 out of a rev 8oo for the transfer

I did get around to installing the Cat skid, and man, I wish I did it at the beginning of the season!!! It now rides smooth as glass, handles small as well as large bumps with ease, and can be adjusted in less than 1 minute (springs). I don't even feel the small stutter bumps any more, I can now hit medium (up to 12") moguls with the throttle on without a problem, and it will jump without the harsh hits that the stock skid would give. Here is the total of what I have, and what I did:
'99 ZR700 skid frame, $250 off ebay including shipping.
Coupling kit from Cat to bring it to '03 specs, about $130.
Rail reinforcements from an '03, $25/pair
2 mounting brackets made from 1/8" plate steel, very easy to make.
2 pieces of 1/8" sheet aluminum, roughly 5"x8"

Measure for the mounting holes (I as well as others have the templates). Drill 2 holes in the front of the tunnel.
Make up the rear mounting plates from the steel, each requires 4 holes. Remove the 2 bolts and rivets holding the stock steel rear mounts and remove the mounts. Bolt in the new plates using 3 bolts on each side. Bolt the skid in place and test it. Call the chiropractor and cancel your next appointment, because you won't need him any more!

Weight transfer is great...I have it set so my skis come up a little, and this thing now HOOKS! Its a blast to use the throttle! It comes out of the corners very hard now, and inside ski lift is very much reduced. But the biggest change is the overall smooth ride.

Jim

Back