• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's the latest on the under tunnel single exhaust mod?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
At the end of last season I remember I was SO close to going to a single exhaust. Aaron was selling me on the idea. I still like the idea but I don't like the way the rear of the seat is left looking after the stock exhaust system is removed.

That's where the other Aaron (Aaron Excell) comes to the rescue.
Here's the deal. I like the ability to inexpensively go to a single exhaust (like Aaron from Bend) but the finished look of the plastic seat close out panels from Aaron Excell? Maybe a guy could do his own single exhaust and just buy the seat close out panels from Excell?

I already have a a White Knuckle QC-1 light weight exhaust that claims to save 11 lbs. over stock. Is doing the single pipe mod worth the time and trouble? I also use (and will continue to use) the ECP air filters on my sled. Does this complicate things?

What's the latest and greatest on the under tunnel exhaust mod?

Frosty

You would only be saving about another 7lbs. Not sure I would mess with it since you might run into carb adjusting issues. I still haven't come up with a good idea to dress up the back end. Definately a problem area!

Aaron

If you recall I ran in to some major tuning problems with the ecp and the single glasspack. Excell or some of the other companies might have worked it out but I tried two different glass packs and both ran STRONG with the stock airbox with a hole cut in it and 165's but the ecp's with 165's bogged bad. Don't know why but it left me frustrated on a number of epic days so I wouldn't do it. I think if someone is going from stock, it is worth the $500 to get a boss seat with no rear mufflers and then put a glass pack on for $80. $580 and you lose almost 30 lbs and it sounds sweet. In your situation, unless you could sell the muffler you have and buy the boss seat, I wouldn't bother. However, my sled ran better and climbed higher with the moded stock box over the ecp's....and although I understand why you want to keep them (weight, filter access, etc) I was happier by far when I went with the stock box. Good luck.

If you decide you want to sell there is a guy on classifieds looking....
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
Rt

Thanks guys! This may very well be my last season with my 03.

I'm tempted to just ride it and not mess with it too much since by the time I get it dialed in it may be time to sell it. It's dialed in pretty dang good right now but one always hopes to improve things even more.

So, messing with a single pipe setup, changing the seat and going back to the stock (or rubbermaid) airbox might not make sense.

If going to a single pipe was a clean kill as far as improvements go I'd seriously consider it but maybe it's just not worth the trouble since I have mine dialed in right now?

Frosty

Hey frosty, there is a Apex mountain for sale in the wheel deals. Very low miles. Then you wouldn't have to wait until next year for a new sled.

Thanks J. Yeah I saw it in there too. I wonder what color? I plan to ride an Apex mountain this winter.

I stopped by Westside yesterday and got my first REAL look at the new Phazer. It was the one with the piggy back shocks? I love the idea and the weight but as they in the latest Supertrax issue; "old guys think they look weird". I guess I'm an old guy. They will have a demo Phazer mountain so I'll set us up to ride it this winter. I also do plan to ride an Apex mountain.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sled but the new sled bug has started to burrow under my saddle and it's getting worse.

I have reserved a cabin at Conconully for I think it's 26, 27 and 28 January.

Frosty

You've got to think that for 08 there will be a big bore Phazer style machine (Exciter?). Good as the Apex is it's still basically an RX1 bulkhead that's been around since 03, I can't see them bringing that to market for too many more years after they've already showed their hand with the Phazer.

Rx1M5 said:
You've got to think that for 08 there will be a big bore Phazer style machine (Exciter?). Good as the Apex is it's still basically an RX1 bulkhead that's been around since 03, I can't see them bringing that to market for too many more years after they've already showed their hand with the Phazer.

Can't see how they can fit any more motor in that phazer chassis though (maybe a bit bigger but not 150hp). I would expect them to keep the Apex, Vector, and phazer line as is since it represents all of the market segments. Could be wrong but I don't think they are introducing the phazer to take anything over....more like to fill in some holes for a light, less expensive machine for younger and smaller riders (not to say it won't work for bigger, older riders but target market and all that stuff).

I was thinking Phazer style but bigger all around 16" track longer, heavier but still a twin 900cc? When you look at the Phazer compared to any conventional sled out there having the motor under you like a quad or dirt bike only makes sense. I just can't see them going old school for more that a couple of more years but hey I've been wrong lots of times before.

Rx1M5

Any auto parts store....you can find em from 14" to 22" long...mine is longer this time and it goes back to where the track turns down by the drop brackets. Make sure it doesn't have the extrusions that stick into the airway inside the pipe....you really just want one that is straight through. If your not set up to weld, you could go to most muffler shops and have them cut and weld the glasspack on to your stock pipe (cutting yours at the xover and then taking a 2" pipe and flattening the end a bit to make it fit. Most muffler shops will also have a selection of glasspacks.

Rt

Frostbite said:
Thanks J. Yeah I saw it in there too. I wonder what color? I plan to ride an Apex mountain this winter.

I stopped by Westside yesterday and got my first REAL look at the new Phazer. It was the one with the piggy back shocks? I love the idea and the weight but as they in the latest Supertrax issue; "old guys think they look weird". I guess I'm an old guy. They will have a demo Phazer mountain so I'll set us up to ride it this winter. I also do plan to ride an Apex mountain.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sled but the new sled bug has started to burrow under my saddle and it's getting worse.

I have reserved a cabin at Conconully for I think it's 26, 27 and 28 January.

Frosty

Looks like a red one .

Can't wait for the Conconully ride. Should be a blast. :jump:

If i understand well, single pipe and ECP is'nt a good match ?

Do you loose some HP with the Glass pack ? or it stay the same ?

I want to drop the ECP anyway, dont want to freeze again this winter in the middle of nowhere.

the sound should be Superbike like ?

Yes, the ecp doesn't seem to work well with glasspack. With stock air box with bigger breather hole cut in it and 170 jets it ran better than ever and didn't freeze up.

Rt

Back