• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

When was the last time you checking your bushings

lenman20

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 rs rage
My daughter crashed my rage this weekend. She hit a park bench upper a arm was bent and the spinnedle was damaged. So took it all apart to find the all the bulkhead bushings were gone. I mean not there at all. I was shocked. The rage has 6500 miles when was the last time you checked yours

replaced my apex stock bushings with a bronze kit from ulmer at about the 4-5000 mile mark.
i now have 11000 miles on the sled and the bronze bushings are worn out.
im thinking if you were still using the factory plastic bushings they probably disappeared 1000 miles ago

looks like the two front lower arm bolt wholes are a little opend up. the rest look ok

i just cheaked ulmers kit is cheeper than yamaha to replace dam i wish i could cancel my order

1400 miles on my 2012 Apex and the bushings are all loose. I will be installing a wide front end kit next year with bronze bushings.

RTX said:
replaced my apex stock bushings with a bronze kit from ulmer at about the 4-5000 mile mark.
im thinking if you were still using the factory plastic bushings they probably disappeared 1000 miles ago

Seriously? I guess I am naive but I thought they would have lasted a lot longer than that, like the life of the sled even?

lenman20 said:
i just cheaked ulmers kit is cheeper than yamaha to replace dam i wish i could cancel my order
Ulcers was out of stock 2 weeks ago. Might be in stock now

Irv said:
RTX said:

Seriously? I guess I am naive but I thought they would have lasted a lot longer than that, like the life of the sled even?

Absolutely serious. A arm bushings were all ovaled and loose. Bulkhead bushings were worn.You Could feel and see a lot of movement in the arms and spindles.
Absolute pain in the azz to remove them all and replace them.

RTX said:
Irv said:
RTX said:

Absolutely serious. A arm bushings were all ovaled and loose. Bulkhead bushings were worn.You Could feel and see a lot of movement in the arms and spindles.

Good to know ;)!

Just curious, but do you ever spray any type of lube into the areas where the bushings are?
I also installed Ulmer's kit but I also spray in the areas with either Rust Check or LPS-2 just to help them a little. Not sure if I am doing them any good, but figured it can't hurt?

I hope every on takes a look because they were a lot worse than i ever imagined

After I broke a bulkhead five years ago, I found out about the bushings. I ordered two complete sets and now try to change them every year before the spring melt with several spare bushings brought along. Mind you, our sledding is quite different.

Prior to every trip I take, I always try to do an inspection, much like a pilot of an aircraft. It's no fun being stuck with broken parts and having to jury-rig a fix in cold weather. Happy and safe sledding.

RX-E

Irv said:
RTX said:
Irv said:
RTX said:

Good to know ;)!

Just curious, but do you ever spray any type of lube into the areas where the bushings are?
I also installed Ulmer's kit but I also spray in the areas with either Rust Check or LPS-2 just to help them a little. Not sure if I am doing them any good, but figured it can't hurt?

Nope. I never sprayed them with anything because they are oil impregnated. They should be self lubricating.
In the future i will be trying to lube them before each ride

Irv said:
RTX said:
Irv said:
RTX said:

Good to know ;)!

Nope. I never sprayed them with anything because they are oil impregnated. They should be self lubricating.
In the future i will be trying to lube them before each ride

lenman20 said:
My daughter crashed my rage this weekend. She hit a park bench upper a arm was bent and the spinnedle was damaged. So took it all apart to find the all the bulkhead bushings were gone. I mean not there at all. I was shocked. The rage has 6500 miles when was the last time you checked yours

If you install one of our bulkhead savers you will never wear out the bulkhead bushings again. The saver prevents the bolts from turning in the bulkhead. All bushing wear is forced to occur on the bushing in the a-arm.

Back