• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

which ripsaw on rx

ger

Expert
I have an 03 rx1 and I am going to change the track this year.
What do you guys suggest .
I am interested in the ripsaw but I dont know about a 1.25 or a 1.5
I would still like to stud down the center .
I dont know if studs will fit with the 1.5 or not.

I mainly trail ride .
I have a m 10 if it makes a difference.

Any thoughts on the ice ripper ones ?

Thanks
Ger

If you are doing trail riding and not lake racing, then I would recommend the ice ripper. Seems to be a nice all around option.

i have an ice ripper on my wifes vector, and one is going on my new attak before i ever ride it... im not a lake racer, but like the added control of the molded in studs, without the some of the drawbacks to conventional studs. the ice ripper is a great track.

I used an Ice Ripper all last year. It still looks like new and it went through several K miles of h@ll last year. BTW, the Ice Ripper is fully punched and has has clips every thrid. The clips have holes punched in them to retain snow and ice. They also look good this year. I love it.

About the height, it depends on your snow conditions. If you go to 1.5", this only magnifies the problems you get with thin snow and hyfax wear.

our snow conditions go both ways , around the house is low usually but where i go north it is deaper . I do run lakes too.

How much of a difference in traction is there between studs and an ice ripper ?

which ripsaw

I just orderd an ice ripper track yesterday and glad to hear your comments, good and bad. Len Todd, how did you find it on pure ice starting and stopping. I run hard, but don`t race.

how did you find it on pure ice starting and stopping. I run hard, but don’t race.
I ride very hard. That's why I got the Ice Ripper. It stopped the side sliding that nearly threw me once when I hit a frozen puddle on a turn with the original track. The Ice Ripper works just fine on lakes, etc., unless you are drag racing. I did notice that on bare concrete, when the ski's carbides (Dualies with 4 carbides to catch) hook on the concrete, the track will spin a bit in reverse (e.g. if you nose up to the Gas pump on bare concrete and have to back away.) I took the sharp edge off the back of the carbides and have not experienced that since. Comes off the Trailer easier too. Whew, that stuff is hard to grind.

BTW Guys, ... In my view, optimum lug height is dependant on how much loose snow you have around. If you go 1.5" on our Michigan Trails you will burn off your hyfax when you hit the 5 mile plowed road sections, or you will be tearing the heck out of the fresh groom trail. (I guess its time to talk about this.) If I was riding in powder, all the time, then I would consider a 1.5. But, I probably would by a mountain sled or at least a stretch. I'm a flatlander, set up to ride on it, and darn proud of it.

hey LB what is the differance with the 9833 , why is it better
/
Ger

I have found that the ripsaw on my short track 2005 rx1 allows the studs to hit the pipes. The lugs are so soft that when they hit the tunnel protectors they fold over and allow the studs to hit. I went away from the ripsaw back to the standard 1" track which I feel is better than a ripsaw when studded. My opinion is if you are not going to stud the ripsaw will work fine, if you are I would not use it. A friend of mine has a warrior with a ripsaw and studs but his do not hit. It may have to do with the suspension in my 05.

lyndske said:
I went away from the ripsaw back to the standard 1" track which I feel is better than a ripsaw when studded. My opinion is if you are not going to stud the ripsaw will work fine, if you are I would not use it.
I think you may be right here. If you do not want the groomed trail traction the Ripsaw offers and wanted to get the best traction on ice, I would also, run a 1" track with about 196 studs. Hyfax would probably last longer too. I just can NOT see putting those long studs on an 1 1/4" track. I have seen to many with studs ripped out and a few with the "green trail" following them into the "old the watering hole."

Back