• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which skis?

i just put set of slydog trail skis on my se...

I went with a set of 6 inch shapers and my sled has 144 studs down the center

havent rode it yet hopefully it works well

BigTime said:
C&A XTXs with 6" deuce bars. Good flotation off trail, good bite on trail, no darting even with worn front end bushings.

X2! Have them on both Apex and Nytro, love them over stock. Little more aggressive with the keel but does not dart and goes exactly where you want the sled to go. They are also awesome for water crossing LOL!
;)!

Pilots.....completely different sled. Hate saying it but try a doo part and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I wasted 3 seasons fighting it and pretending my nytro was perfect.

U know that's so weird to me about the pilot skis I had them on a 03 rev and couldn't get that turd to turn or handle worth a poop. Maybe its just me?

phatkid said:
U know that's so weird to me about the pilot skis I had them on a 03 rev and couldn't get that turd to turn or handle worth a poop. Maybe its just me?
They changed the ski in 06 I believe. The 03 had 2 carbides like the simmons and that ended very quickly when patents where violated. I dont remember what ski doo called them but they wern't pilots. The pilots have a center bar and a outside bar the seats up higher. I have 6.9s on my XTX and love them.

dburrowes said:
Pilots.....completely different sled. Hate saying it but try a doo part and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I wasted 3 seasons fighting it and pretending my nytro was perfect.

I ran 5.7" pilots on my RS and found that they were awesome on groomed trail but actually dangerous where powder was involved. Maybe the 6.9's steer better in the powder

I've run a bunch of different skis on both my Nytro and Vector. The Curve skis are really good handling skis on the trails. Very well made as well. I didn't find the Sly-Dog race skis to be anything special, plus they are kind of flimsy and the build quality is cobby. C&A skis are nice but I feel they are too aggressive for the Nytro. They also had more of a tendency to stand up in the corners on both my sleds. The stock skis are worthless for off trail conditions but are very light steering and are not as bad as a lot of people say once you get your sled set up properly. Thing is, aftermarket skis can mask a bad set up and immediately improve the handing over the stockers. Plus they are generally wider and will improve floatation for off trail riding which is ALWAYS a good thing.

Something I've always found interesting is a majority of the Iron Dog racers (on all brands) run stock skis. Generally it isn't because stock skis do anything particularly well, but because they are the most predictable skis over the widest range of conditions.

Back