• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whining

Sled has 1600 miles on it and has not been beat at all. Chaincase oil has maybe 700 miles on it or so. The sled had a base service done on it a few weeks ago. Would have done a full service but it had one late last winter.

And X5 on the chain.

My experience is that the FX Nytro is very sensitive to chain tension and the slightest bit too much will cause a whining noise that will be heard at all speeds. The Yamaha manual tells you to do the chain tension "full finger tight and then back off 1/4 turn". If I follow this recommendation I get the whining noise, for sure. I noticed this already after the first service on my -08 RTX 40th. Ever since I have done "full finger tight and then back of 1/2 turn". Enough chain tension and no noise.

Chain..... is there an echo in here? :drink:

A friend of mine has an '09 XTX & his chain was too tight right from the factory & screamed like a banshee, until we loosened it to a spec similar to what Alatalo posted above.

When you say full finger tight do u mean give it a good tight turn with fingers then back it off? or snug it with your fingers? i have always just done finger tight and left it alone and never had an issue on my 08. new sled this yr and you guys are making me a little worried. should i tighten it good with my fingers then back it off 1/4-1/2 turn?

Turn it in with your fingers, till it stops, then I aways give it a 1/4 turn back out before tightening the locknut.

I went as tight as my bare fingers could go, then I went 1/4 back. Maybe I went too tight. It was hard to turn where as my brothers attak was easy to turn.

LOL yup I'm hearing the echo too. x 100 on the chain. Mine was too tight on my 08 and i had to back it off. It still makes the noise a little, maybe I should loosen it more? Does it hurt if is still winds some??

Back