• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who do you guys as the best clutch for the Apex GT

Blow up the clutch, hoods up on trailside? LOL Havent used many good clutch kits eh? I'll never own a sled that isnt clutched and Ive yet to have ANY of the issues you mention. We dont criticize you for leaving it stock, we expect the same courtesy in return.

chance3131 said:
Allen, thanks for the info. I have always wondered that. So your saying that you test on the grass, and then compare numbers on the dyno also and make adjustments accordingly for the snow set-ups? Is this the way everyone does it that has the kits out now? Thanks again for the info.

Chad

Chad, I do everything on the track dyno pretty much. From the initial setup to the finished product. I started testing our setups already back in June.

Shaf said:
Why do anything to it?

If i wanted to desecrate my sled i would ride a cat.

Who wants to be hoods up trailside during primetime, trying to dial it in (or hooked to a tow rope) when ya should be ridin.

Buyin all that *&@# is a waste of money.

Voids yer warranty.

I think Yamaha did there homework here, why tamper with there good judgement,do you think some cat working out of a pole barn could do it better?

My 2 cents.

Shaf, not only do I think, I know I can make it better for you than Yamaha did. Yamaha has made the clutching to work with a 125 lbs ot a 350 lbs rider in about any and all conditions. We can dial it in for your rider weight and style as well as the conditions you generally ride in. The best thing is it's just as reliable as stock!

SledderSteve said:
My question for this thread is what's the downside of a clutch kit?

You always have to give up something to get something.

SledderSteve, some companies you may lose mpg at lower speed driving because they raise the low speed cruising rpm. We have concentrated on this, first by making all our kits engage below 38-3900 rpm (Stage 1 3800 and Stage 2 3400) for those of you who do some slow speed riding. Trail riding on our kits last year doing 70-90 mph showed a 15-17 mpg average. Another down fall is some kits may use their own springs and it will be expensive and timely to replace them. The springs in our kit are direct Yamaha replacements available through any Yamaha dealer.

Wow, can't believe I typed this much at 5:30 AM! Yikes! Thanks for everyone starting my day off in a great mindset! THINKING SNOW!!

;)! :rocks:

Shaf, if you installed a clutch kit and it exploded on you and either the guy you got the clutch kit from is a hack or you installed something very wrong. As Allen stated there are huge gains to be made by clutching the sled for your specific needs. I have been clutching sleds sense I was 16 years old and have never had a clutch go bad on me. But then again there are some people that are just better off never touching the sled because they don't understand the effects the changes make.

Bossman said:
Shaf, if you installed a clutch kit and it exploded on you and either the guy you got the clutch kit from is a hack or you installed something very wrong.
or he installed heel clickers 8)

SledderSteve said:
As Dano can attest regarding the equipment his company buys from mine, there are always improvements that can be made to suit a particular purpose or need.

My question for this thread is what's the downside of a clutch kit?

You always have to give up something to get something. As a simple example, the hooked brake lever allows an easier reach when your hand is out on the hook but gives up the adjustability of the factory lever.

I never adjusted my factory lever anyway so it was a no-brainer for me.
If there's a down side to a clutch kit, then someone is doing something wrong. Better acceleration, better backshift, hopefully more top-end, cooler clutches, which makes longer lasting belts, which in turn gives better fuel economy.

I just got off the phone and got the ulmer racing clutch
I hope I wont be desapointed.

Shaf said:
Why do anything to it?

If i wanted to desecrate my sled i would ride a cat.

Who wants to be hoods up trailside during primetime, trying to dial it in (or hooked to a tow rope) when ya should be ridin.

Buyin all that *&@# is a waste of money.

Voids yer warranty.

I think Yamaha did there homework here, why tamper with there good judgement,do you think some cat working out of a pole barn could do it better?

My 2 cents.
:ORC

A clutch kit won't void your warranty, unless you put it back together wrong. Why install one? Mostly for better accleration and backshift. Factory clutching is a one size fits all approach. There is always some performance left on the table. About the only possible downside of most "kits" is a possibility of bogging or belt slip in heavy wet snow, but even that can be compensating by squeezing your right thumb a little harder..... 8) If you don't drag race your buddies at all, sure, leave it stock. But if you want a little advantage, like a sled that is tuned "tight", then get a kit.

Mighty,
Your hit the nail on the head,I cant go thru that fiasco again,after HC told me over the phone they fixed the problem.

I didnt mean to getting everyone in a knot,no bashing intended,well,, im on my way to Wyoming,,,Later

Rotax! said:
Anyone, ever try a kit from bender? Any info?

I think you can do better then Benders kit and I think Bender uses Heelclicker weights.

I’ve also had good luck with Hauck clutching...

SledderSteve, you guys are doing a good job building them machines. They sure came a long way from the yester years ;)!

Dan

Back