• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why Do My Stock Skis Work Better than USIs?

you did not mention what model usi ski you are using.
I am currently running usi triple threats on my apex.
they have 6" shaper bars and the stage 2 fin kit.
they are absolutely the most aggressive ski I have ever tried.
they stick like glue but I also have had issues with them darting.
I found that using the mounting hole behind the center hole works best for me.
I also found that adjusting my toe out helped a lot.
usi suggests where to set the toe out on there website.
while trying to dial mine in, i found that I had a ton of slop in my front end. worn bushings. worn tierods. all of this contributed to my darting.
once I fixed all my worn parts and adjusted the tie rods they were much much better with darting, but as I said earlier they are still super aggressive.
I plan to keep running mine this year and work out the kinks. maybe try adjusting my limiter strap, change out to a stage 1 fin kit, maybe 4"round carbides. if you are using the triple threats theres a lot of options for changing them around.
good luck

I have found that dually's take out all darting on my sled. The tradeoff is that I lost some sharpness in the cornering and maybe some speed as well. I'm thinking of running one dually and one regular carbide to see how that works.

SnowTracker's, they track perfect and the turn!

Yes, the reason the stockers are not darting is due to the duallys. I have usi triple threats on my attak with the deuce bars. There is no darting. all my steering componets are tight(not worn). I have about 0 to 1/8 inch toe out. this set up is straight and true, but it does tend to push slightly in the corners.

The stock Yamaha skis are not as bad as most people think. Sled suspension set up and carbides make the most difference in handling and limit darting. IMO, unless you are looking for a wider ski, I would stick with stock and set your sled up correctly with toe, shims, and good carbides.

G.B.

Thanks for all the input (I had a little issue getting back in to the forum here..)

I do have the triple threats. This is the newest sled I have ever had, so it is the first one that I don't want to screw around with factory settings that work perfect with the stock skis.

I'm thinking the extra floatation of the USIs would be nice, although I haven't had the Yamahas long enough to have any issues with needing the floation due to the 4 stroke weight.

Sounds like I would need to invest in some duallys as a next step to see if the USIs will work, although I'm still not sure why the Apex likes them and Vector doesn't. Perhaps there is a little more toe out on the Apex.

Thanks Again! :)

MidwestMike said:
Sounds like I would need to invest in some duallys as a next step to see if the USIs will work, although I'm still not sure why the Apex likes them and Vector doesn't. Perhaps there is a little more toe out on the Apex.

Thanks Again! :)
I don't think you want duallys on the triple threats. mine can be a bear to turn at slow speeds. I think duallys would just make it worse.
if you're going to buy duallys I think people are recommending them for the stock skis.
In my opinion, a wider ski (usi) on the sled is a good thing.
check your toe in/out first and start there.
make small adjustments and write down what you did.
for instance. if adjusting tie rods, you can go 1/2 or 1 complete revolution in or out on the tie rod end. write what you did and take it for a ride.
then try 1.5 turns out write it down and try it. see what works best for you.
everyone is different. what works for you might not work for me.
If things don't work out the way you want then you can simply look at your paper stating all the changes you have tried and simply reverse them and go back to stock.

No need to experiment with Toe IMO. Assuming nothing is out of whack like bent a arms or spindles anything over 0 but less than or = to 1/2" TOE OUT should track well. I took a spill last year on a trip and monkeyed with the toe daily with no cure for the bad handling I was having. When I got home I replaced a bent ski saddle and twisted spindle and voila my toe was perfect at 1/2" out and my sled tracked great with no darting next trip.

Back