• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wider skis

Mooseman said:
Unreal floatation, steered like I was in mud.

Thanks for that Mooseman. I'm ordering a pair of skins from the dealer and will take the stodgy steering for the floatation. The lack of it now at lower speeds is a pia with all the snow hitting the front suspension and drifting up and over. Was 6C last night here - it's coming. Good luck Mr.Fisher.

Mooseman said:
DaveA said:
Good topic and one I had planned to start this fall.

With only one trip with the new-to-me Lite last spring, the floatation in deep snow on the lakes was not good, at least 80km to plane and the turning was slow.

What should be expected from the 7.5" Yamaha ski skin?

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.p ... nture+Lite

Would be worse steering with the skins. I know because I had them when I bought the sled. Unreal floatation, steered like I was in mud. Slydog now has 8" Powderhounds but at least is should steer better than anything stock. Has the same keel as the Trailhounds. Then there are the Yamaha Tuner skis. Dual keel and runners but I think the width is only 6" like most trail skis.

For maximum floatation and good steering, I'd go with the 8" Powderhounds and a set of Bergtrom Triple Points for the darting because there are no dual runners for these skis due to the skinny keel.
I've switched to the 8" powder hounds on my VL and now have Triple Points as well. Previously I had 7" PH's with Studboy Shaper bars and they worked quite well. For the extra money I don't see any big improvement with the Triple Points and the Studboys lasted a long time for me. As for flotation the 8" are better of course but if I remember correctly the keel is deeper and wider than the 7" PH's so might be a little harder steering at lower speeds. I must say I don't experience much darting on trail with the Slydogs; but in deep snow they are a bit wishy washy.

MNiceFisher,
I know cost is a factor but I wouldn't trade-off poor steering to save a few bucks; on these heavy machines you need all the control on the front that you can get.

Or water skiing? Aye Caramba!

It's not my ride, found it on a local buy and sell site and thougt the wide skis where cool. But i think that the things hanging down from the swaybar is as you said ice scratchers. Made of a wire and with a claw in the end. They just clamp on the swaybar och can be rotated op when not in use.

Back