• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you buy another viper?

Yep

Yep, I'd buy another one and my brother is going for a 2015. I really like the sled overall, and maybe it's a little less exciting and possibly not as fast at the very top end, but the thing that really wins me over is the list of things that I don't miss on my Nytro......

Icing tunnel
Bad hand warmers
Cold ride
Replacing hyfax
Replacing carbides
The ride
The heavy steering
Cheap crappy gage from the phazer
The stupid 10 position hand and thumb warmer controls
The small gas tank
The low seat
Inside ski lift

I liked my Nytro with that endless list of faults so I guess you'd say I love my Viper.

stingray719 said:
red dog said:
A friend of mine has one and loves it but is disappointed with the power as compared to his APEX. He wishes he would have kept the APEX until Yamaha puts a 150 HP or better engine in that chassis. After riding his Viper I upgraded and bought a 2011 APEX XTX. If and when Yamaha gets this thing up past 150 HP they'll probably sell 2 new sleds. Hope we don't have to wait to long.

<tap tap> is this on? New 2015 Viper can be bought with dealer added turbo for 190hp.

I wouldn't let the dealers around here put on a set of carbides. Dealer added turbo, LMFAO.

Re: Yep

revmuffin said:
Yep, I'd buy another one and my brother is going for a 2015. I really like the sled overall, and maybe it's a little less exciting and possibly not as fast at the very top end, but the thing that really wins me over is the list of things that I don't miss on my Nytro......

Icing tunnel
Bad hand warmers
Cold ride
Replacing hyfax
Replacing carbides
The ride
The heavy steering
Cheap crappy gage from the phazer
The stupid 10 position hand and thumb warmer controls
The small gas tank
The low seat
Inside ski lift

I liked my Nytro with that endless list of faults so I guess you'd say I love my Viper.

Thanks, good post. ;)!
Felt same about Nytro. Still on fence about my next sled but good to know you like your Viper.

viper

Perfect note on the Nytro...lol

I will be buying a 2015 after demoing the following today in Baldwin Mi:
- RTX SE 129 track with Fox shocks
- LTX SE 137 track with Fox shocks
- Standard SR 129 track with coil over HPG shocks

What i noticed most on the demo is all sleds have much better handeling vs. My FX Nytro. Sleds goes where you point it. All of the sleds coast much better when you let off the throttle (engine braking is nonexistent) and the back shifting is way better too. Initial clutch engagement is smoother and at lower RPMs vs. my nytro.

Coming off the 121 inch Nytro I thought the 129 inch track was plenty for comfort but I liked the 137 too. I think the 137 is the way to go but would be fine with 129.

I personally do not like Fox air shocks and thought they were too firm but they we set at 75 psi. The coil over shocks provided a better ride IMO but recognize the Fox can be adjusted lower.

LTX SE did seem a bit firmer in rear suspension but i was not dissatisfied with it, just a slight difference.

To me, the engine is great and the sled has nice balance and rider comfort with seat positioning. I will likely get the base Viper ltx dx in a 137 or thr LTX SE 137

I would handles alot better on the trail than my attak did.I really like the new white and blue wonder how bad i would get hammered on my 14.

Apex1958 said:
AFTER 1500 MILES THE ANSWER IS NO. THE SLED IS TO SLOW IN STOCK FORM. I will have a new APEX next year to go with my 2006 APEX with 12,000 miles on it, the sled misses it's brother.
Would another one in a heartbeat ,best sled I have owned. To everybody body that thinks this sled is slow, it's not geared for top end. Gear it if you want to go faster.

Re: viper

rbell14 said:
Perfect note on the Nytro...lol

I will be buying a 2015 after demoing the following today in Baldwin Mi:
- RTX SE 129 track with Fox shocks
- LTX SE 137 track with Fox shocks
- Standard SR 129 track with coil over HPG shocks

What i noticed most on the demo is all sleds have much better handeling vs. My FX Nytro. Sleds goes where you point it. All of the sleds coast much better when you let off the throttle (engine braking is nonexistent) and the back shifting is way better too. Initial clutch engagement is smoother and at lower RPMs vs. my nytro.

Coming off the 121 inch Nytro I thought the 129 inch track was plenty for comfort but I liked the 137 too. I think the 137 is the way to go but would be fine with 129.

I personally do not like Fox air shocks and thought they were too firm but they we set at 75 psi. The coil over shocks provided a better ride IMO but recognize the Fox can be adjusted lower.

LTX SE did seem a bit firmer in rear suspension but i was not dissatisfied with it, just a slight difference.

To me, the engine is great and the sled has nice balance and rider comfort with seat positioning. I will likely get the base Viper ltx dx in a 137 or thr LTX SE 137

I have the RTX SE and I run my floats at 90 psi and the thing rails without sacrificing the ride. I swapped out the stock. Skis for C&A.

I just turned over 2000 miles.

Hand warmers still work great
NO tunnel icing at all
Warmer
Still on first set of carbides
Still on stock hyfax ( the cheap ones not DuPont)
Other than a steering post issue and a corroded battery terminal. All is well. Just gas and mile after maintainence free mile.

What's not to love?

i'd like to thank everyone for their inputs, they were greatly appreciated. i think i'm going to hold off one more yr. i just got told on the weekend that yamaha is coming out with a new apex for 2016. it maybe called the srx though.

kuvasz said:
i'd like to thank everyone for their inputs, they were greatly appreciated. i think i'm going to hold off one more yr. i just got told on the weekend that yamaha is coming out with a new apex for 2016. it maybe called the srx though.
:jump: :jump: that's a good one !

kuvasz said:

WOW.... :sled1:!!!! I nearly fell off my seat reading that post!

Back