• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

xtx in the mountains??

grizzly

Extreme
Has anyone been using the Nytro XTX in the mountains, and if so what track are you using? I am going out west for the first time and what to put a paddle track on my sled so any of you have experience with doing so? Looking for lots of help.

had mine to valmount area over newyears.i run a 1.75'' backcountry and had it clutched for 6-8000 ft.was not impressed with the traction to say the least,trenched really bad. i will say though,it handles and sidehills better any other sled i've ridden.i would recommend a riser to make it comfortable standing. :drink:

i had my xtx in the powder/hills today and i have work to do. i have everything stock other then the suspention maxed out for hard trail riding. 1 having the suspention maxed was a bad idea and the sled turned way better after i adjusted the front to the min seting. 2 when i would take off from a dead stop it would pull hard (9000rpm) throw the skis in the air then load up and the rpms would go to about 8100 to 8300 so i need to work on the clutching.3 the ice build up after about 2 hours was so much the i could hear it rubing on the track will driving slow so i had to shop it off.(i keep a small axe in my bad just for that) i just wanted to let you know the problmes i had so you dont have the same.

I mostly mountain ride mine. 16" wide 2" challenger, it works well.
You'll want to swap the skis out for wider ones. Also remove the swap bar for easier side hilling.
Relocating the steering post and a riser block also helps. ;)!

Tip your sled on it's side and look at the stock track clearance at the heat exchanger. It'll answer the driver question.

The XTX is pretty good in the snow with the track it has. Wide skis like my Simmons Gen-IIs will keep the front floating and make the most noticeable improvement. Next I'd be looking at altitude adjustments. Only then would I consider a track change. To take a flatlander sled and stick big paddles on it without adjusting the clutching and gearing, and then take it up to the Rockies? No track speed, no performance. The big paddles alone are not the answer. But no matter what you do, you won't be able to compete with the mountain sleds for high marking, side hilling, or floating in the fluff. That doesn't mean you can't have fun, just that you bought a crossover sled. It is what it is.

stewartb said:
Tip your sled on it's side and look at the stock track clearance at the heat exchanger. It'll answer the driver question.

The XTX is pretty good in the snow with the track it has. Wide skis like my Simmons Gen-IIs will keep the front floating and make the most noticeable improvement. Next I'd be looking at altitude adjustments. Only then would I consider a track change. To take a flatlander sled and stick big paddles on it without adjusting the clutching and gearing, and then take it up to the Rockies? No track speed, no performance. The big paddles alone are not the answer. But no matter what you do, you won't be able to compete with the mountain sleds for high marking, side hilling, or floating in the fluff. That doesn't mean you can't have fun, just that you bought a crossover sled. It is what it is.
Over the 1.25 ripsaw ( not a great track) ...........the paddle track IS the answer. I also use the 1.75 backcountry which worked great for me , but the biggest diff in the snow was the mountain skis up front. Floatation and stability was great. Limiters sucked all the way up and a adjustment in clutching.

Topgun said:
stewartb said:

Over the 1.25 ripsaw ( not a great track) ...........the paddle track IS the answer. I also use the 1.75 backcountry which worked great for me , but the biggest diff in the snow was the mountain skis up front. Floatation and stability was great. Limiters sucked all the way up and a adjustment in clutching.

YOu say you have your limited sucked all the up? I have my fornt limited let out all the way. What is the thinking behind this?

Any problems with rolling the XTX out of being stuck in the mountains. I'm new to the 4 stroke world and last time I was in the mountains with my 2 stroke that seemed to be the easiest way to become unstuck...

Planning to take my XTX to Revelstoke this year...

I put the 1.75" x 146 Ripsaw on my XTX and have found it to be pretty good in the powder. I also went with extros (9-tooth) in the 2.86" pitch (only pitch the 1.75 Ripsaw comes in). Although there is room w/o the protectors in there for a 2" on the stock drivers, the ratcheting you would have to put up with considering the amount of torque this motor puts down would drive you nuts. I have a 2" on my Rev 800 w/ stock drivers which are 10 tooth 2.52's and even that ratchets occasionally, and that motor doesn't put down near the low-end torque the XTX does. The lugs on the Ripsaw are really stiff, so it's not the BEST powder track, but it holds it's own. We were in the UP this weekend in 4+ ft of powder and I only managed to bury it once. We rolled it out of that stuck, but went to the right. If you go to the left and it sits like that for too long, oil gets out of the breather into the airbox and makes a mess. No other damage though, and I have a mid-height windshield. Gotta have wider skis though- whatever your choice. I have Powderhounds and really like them in the deep stuff. Probably the biggest improvement on the XTX because of the weight up front. As for clutching- can't help with that. My sled sees its miles here in MI, so no need for clutching upgrades. Agree with the recommendation on removing the swaybar, as it makes sidehilling very difficult. I haven't taken mine out completely yet, but have unhooked it occasionally- I still ride I fair amount of trails.

Back