• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX ~ Shock Valving

schoe

AFter 500 miles on the XTX I've come to the conclusion that for "me" it needs to be revalved a little softer...... It is calibrated a bit more ditch banging than this 50 year old body needs......

I've looked around, but have yet found the shock spec with regard to shim stacks thickness/diameter.. etc. Having come off a Ski-doo, their race manual always have the info so you can adjust the shocks calibration during a re-build (which I can do)..

Anybody have the info?

PS ~ My only two comlaints so far..... too COLD, and a bit harsh for me.... (Although my buddy at 30 and the Blair Morgan wanna behe thinks the sled is PERFECT for him)

Good luck. I sent my rear shocks to NY to be revalved and it's still way to stiff. We tried all different things to get it softer with no luck. Now looking to get rid of the sled or put an entire different rear suspenstion in it.

If you don't mind shipping them, I know a good place to get them revalved in Minnesota. B-Line Control in Lino Lakes just did my wives shocks. He sets them up for your weight, riding style and age. He knows Yamaha shocks also.

Thanks for the info... what is the concenses on getting the sled softer.... revalving alone; or do you "have" to replace the springs with dual rate. My complaint with the calibration of the sled for me is the slow speed stutter bumps... most especially in the rear... That thing is rock hard in the slow speed stutters..... ~ 40 mph...

At 70 mph and big bumps the calibration works pretty good... but my 50 old body don't work good at those anymore... :-(

bruce shrader at pioneer has decades of shock valving yamaha's....he just did mine...though Ive yet to ride it...everything else he's touched was golden..

schoe said:
Thanks for the info... what is the concenses on getting the sled softer.... revalving alone; or do you "have" to replace the springs with dual rate. My complaint with the calibration of the sled for me is the slow speed stutter bumps... most especially in the rear... That thing is rock hard in the slow speed stutters..... ~ 40 mph...

At 70 mph and big bumps the calibration works pretty good... but my 50 old body don't work good at those anymore... :-(
I just had my rears revalved for basically the same issues. Its in the Highspeed compression valving(studder bumps), Way to stiff.
But like stopdropanroll, slow speed compression is to soft. Lots of bottoming on the big whoops.
Ive only got 85 miles on my re-valve, and unfortunetly the trails were smooth :o| , but the few studders I did find seemed better.

My shock guy said that parts for these SQI shocks are hard to come by so be sure to shop around for parts before you crack them open.

schoe said:
AFter 500 miles on the XTX I've come to the conclusion that for "me" it needs to be revalved a little softer...... It is calibrated a bit more ditch banging than this 50 year old body needs......

I've looked around, but have yet found the shock spec with regard to shim stacks thickness/diameter.. etc. Having come off a Ski-doo, their race manual always have the info so you can adjust the shocks calibration during a re-build (which I can do)..

Anybody have the info?

PS ~ My only two comlaints so far..... too COLD, and a bit harsh for me.... (Although my buddy at 30 and the Blair Morgan wanna behe thinks the sled is PERFECT for him)

Did you lossen the front rear suspension shock spring. My XTX was real bouncy on the stutters. I loosened the spring to where it is almost loose on the shock. Rides way better on the stutters and still takes the big bumps great. Very little bottoming.

I had the mid height windshield on. It still was a cold ride but not too bad. I just installed the tall windshield. Haven't tried it out yet.

The Nytro is a more spoty ride than my Attak.

Yeah I just turned 50 this year. The Nytro is a fun sled sporty sled.

I also just installed the Hygear tripple rate springs and Ski Doo 6.9 pilots skis. Can't wait to try everything out. Hope that storm doesn't ruin the snow in Michigan from rain.

LarryPolaris
Let me know how it rides with the new skiis/springs,shock calibration. ...... If had to tighten the center spring two turns from the lowest to ligthen up the steering. I'm hoping the pilots allow me to loosen it back up....

I'm hoping the Storm too doesn't toast the snow.... :-(

have you set your suspension up to your weight? yamaha has terrible out of the box set ups. you must tweek all the adjustments.

I had Pioneer re-valve both rear shocks which helped. I also found tightening up the center shock spring preload helped quite a bit. Seems odd that increasing spring a preload smoothes out the ride, but I think it effects how the suspension couples. Making it feel more balanced.

ttt ~ After another few hundred miles.... the slow speed stutters is where the sled needs some serious calibration. Any more opinions on Pioneer ?

Back