• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Skid removal

SDXTXrider

Veteran
Hello all. I am going to remove my XTX skid soon to get the rear shocks revalved. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for removing the skid? Also, is there anything special I should be inspecting when it is out. It only has 900 miles on it, but is there any special maintenance I should do to the skid? Thanks for your input/suggestions.

Otis :beer:

raptorman2fast@yahoo.com said:
Hello all. I am going to remove my XTX skid soon to get the rear shocks revalved. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for removing the skid? Also, is there anything special I should be inspecting when it is out. It only has 900 miles on it, but is there any special maintenance I should do to the skid? Thanks for your input/suggestions.

Otis :beer:
its pretty straight forward, loosen and remove the 4 bolts holding the suspension in place, and slide it out the side of the track, makes it alot easier if you can get a buddy to help because the suspension weighs alot.

inspect bushings, bearings in bogey wheels, and grease all zert fittings. good time to change out slides and inspect for any unusual wear on suspension also.

Not much to it, first thing I do is take the tension off the track, then remove the 4 bolts holding the suspension in (2 in front of tunnel by your feet, and the 2 in the rear where your suspension is held in place on the drop brackets) then pull back on the track taking all slack out of it and take the skid out, rear first then the front. Do any maintenance, I suggest greasing the skid but not the front arm until it's back in the skid (there are 2 caps on the end of the front arm that will not stay in place if you grease them out of the skid)
On re-install, let your rear springs go, just rotate the plastic guide forward and lift the spring out of it's track, flip the spring all the way around and rest on the lower idler wheel. This will make bolting it back in much easier. I put the front of the skid inside the track first, then slide the back in , bolt up the front first, then line up the back and bolt it in place, now you can re-install your spring in it's original position. Don't forget to grease the front arm and adjust track tension.

Release the spring tension from the get go and allow the skid/track weight to just to contact the floor. EZ as pye..

Back