• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Y pipe and exhaust stuck together

tpayner19

Veteran
Y pipe and exhaust are not separating on an 06 Apex. Everything is unscrewed and disassembled. Think they are jsut stuck. Anyone have any tricks?

Bend the tabs where the muffler meets the header pipes that will help get them off. They are tight at the gaskets. And use the big hammer at the muffler. Good luck.

Thanks, didn't want to bend the tabs without hearing it first. Been drinking too much to try it now, maybe in the morning. I appreciate the responses!

tpayner19 said:
Y pipe and exhaust are not separating on an 06 Apex. Everything is unscrewed and disassembled. Think they are jsut stuck. Anyone have any tricks?
I put a ratchet strap around the muffler to the rear grab bar and use dead blow.

Large rubber mallet hit the outer edges where the seam is it is pretty strong out there. Never thought of the ratchet strap trick sounds like a good way to keep pressure on it so when you hit it something should pop.

thor452 said:
Large rubber mallet hit the outer edges where the seam is it is pretty strong out there. Never thought of the ratchet strap trick sounds like a good way to keep pressure on it so when you hit it something should pop.
Only way I could get it apart.

X3 on hitting the muffler on the outer seams on either side towards the rear bumper. Whack a few time, wiggle up and down while pulling back. Whack a few times on othe side, wiggle wiggle. It usually takes a good amount of coaxing even though I pull it apart every year, as pre season maintenance to check donuts, Y pipes and header pipes.

hi there tpayner 19 , what i did after also strugling to get them off is i took gaz tank off and lowerd track and heated them up whith torch at the joints where ypipes meet muffler and trust me them suckers came out
with no effort , good luck bud.

Back