• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Oversized Idler Wheel...Anyone tried this one??

Vincenthdfan

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex MTX
http://www.ty4stroke.com/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=55

Found this on SLP's site and thought it would be a worth inquiring about.

The person I called said the wheel diameter is 5 3/8".

That converts to 135mm (same as Poo wheels), which would be just perfect to keep the hyfax wear down on my Apex Mountain sled.

Best part would be the bearing width SHOULD be the same as the rest of the Yamaha wheels so you could get by without having to machine the idler mounts to match up to the stock wheel groove on the track.

Anyone tried these yet???

Thanks,
Vince

Actually, after looking at that wheel from SLP, I noticed that it's for Yamaha sleds UP TO 2004, not after. Probably means it has the wider 6205 bearing.

Grimm said:
Actually, after looking at that wheel from SLP, I noticed that it's for Yamaha sleds UP TO 2004, not after. Probably means it has the wider 6205 bearing.

Oh crap...I didnt see that part (I think Im gettin bug eyed, Ive looked at sooo many of them!).

So basically if prior to 2004 they all had 6205 bearings, they would be no different than a Polaris wheel then...bummer. :o|

What is the deal with bearings and Polaris wheels? I've had good luck with my stock Yamaha wheels but when I replace them I'll go with ones that offer replaceable bearings, like Polaris wheels. I've got a bunch of old Polaris wheels in boxes in my garage.

Yamaha wheels are 130mm diameter and are pretty ineffective at preventing hyfax wear.

Yamaha wheels also have a narrower bearing in them (6005).

Polaris wheels are 135mm in diameter, better for preventing hyfax wear...BUT, there is a wider bearing (6025) in the Polaris wheel.

This necessitates getting the mounts turned down 1.5mm on each side when running the Poo wheels inside your rails (squeezed between the rails and suspension pivot) in order to prevent spreading your rails and to maintain alignment between the track lugs.

Polaris wheels will work fine on the outside of the rails however.

Lots of folks I hear have used Kimpex wheels with the narrower bearing (6004) with 135mm diameter, but they are hard to find in stock anywhere.

I told you Ive been doing a lot of reading, lol. :o|

Vince

If you check out Dennis Kirk, they have an aftermarket direct replacement wheel with the 6005 stock bearing for $24. Just put 6005 in the search box and the wheel will be listed. Now, my experience has been, at least with Kimpex brand wheels, that the aftermarket wheels are oversized to begin with, maybe these ones are too. I think I've seen some posts here of guys buying these wheels, maybe check with those individuals and see if they are a little larger than stock and how they have worked out for them.

I give up!! I thought I had a line on the perfect set up....a Kimpex wheel with a narrow 6004 bearing with the larger outer diameter wheel of 135mm....I got this straight out of the Kimpex catalog mind you.

Als snowmobile sells this part number wheel...so I called them, they tell me nope, that wheel has a 6205 bearing in it!

He even went so far as to pull one off the shelf and verify it...sure enough 6205 bearing...grrr!! :die

Turns out, Kimpex doesnt even know their own product...they listed it wrong in their catalog, glad I checked before placing an order!

I give up...I'm gonna get my stock mounts machined down 1.5 mm and say the hell with it!

Then I can use Poo 135mm wheels all day long and find plentiful replacements any time I need em. Damn Yamaha engineers! :die

Vincenthdfan said:
I give up!! I thought I had a line on the perfect set up....a Kimpex wheel with a narrow 6004 bearing with the larger outer diameter wheel of 135mm....I got this straight out of the Kimpex catalog mind you.

Als snowmobile sells this part number wheel...so I called them, they tell me nope, that wheel has a 6205 bearing in it!

He even went so far as to pull one off the shelf and verify it...sure enough 6205 bearing...grrr!! :die

Turns out, Kimpex doesnt even know their own product...they listed it wrong in their catalog, glad I checked before placing an order!

I give up...I'm gonna get my stock mounts machined down 1.5 mm and say the hell with it!

Then I can use Poo 135mm wheels all day long and find plentiful replacements any time I need em. Damn Yamaha engineers! :die

you really should read my thread...you are nuts to use 135mm wheels with stock mounts!

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
Vincenthdfan said:

you really should read my thread...you are nuts to use 135mm wheels with stock mounts!

Dan

Actually Dan I have read your thread...and several times at that, very informative indeed.

Let me clarify my statement I made in frustration earlier.

The only "original mount" Im actually going to re-use will be the round spindles on the inside of the rails, where the fwd lower suspension arms ride.

The rest will be Polaris mounts, which are two bolt mounts. They fit very well actually.

I will get them machined down and drill the lower part of the rail so as to make each mount two bolters.

So, as you can see...I have indeed read your thread and dont want to crack or bend my rails.

I certainly appreciate your candor and warning though!!

Let me know if I'm off base in my planning...

Thanks,
Vince

Why the Polaris mounts? As per RockerDan's posts, the Doo mounts work well with minor mods. I have done so and all I had to do is grind the notch for the rail, drill out the top bolt hole and grind the bottom of it to clear the hyfax.

The thing about using them on the inside is that the track has to be perfectly aligned as the Kimpex Pro wheels are wider and barely fit between the lugs. And the only thing I did different was use Doo 5.25" Kimpex Pro wheels, which measures 133.34 mm (vs the Poo 135 mm). Got them from here at a great price with fast shipping to Canada within a week:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/04-052-20.html

ok cool.....i was worried you were running 135mm wheels with stock 1 bolt mounts,glad you are not.

those kimpex pro wheels on the inside are very thick(FAT) so be sure you got them centered.

im thinking more and more those inner wheels might be better with a narrow wheel from BRP or even an older srx idler wheel(which was approx 134-135mm)

I havent yet tried my PRO wheels at inner location yet,since my BRP narrows are still decent shape.

so keep us posted on those,since we all can help eachother with our experiences.

thanks guys
Dan

Agreed. A "normal" Doo wheel should work well on the inside. I have to replace a couple on the Safari of the same size. I can do a comparison them and the Kimpex Pro.

Back