• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha reliability

rx1pat

VIP Member
Bob Miller wrote a post a few weeks ago after he returned from a trip from Quebec. He said his warrior was the best sled he ever owned. I just returned from Northern Ontario and felt compelled to write about my experience as well. The wife and I did 1,000 miles in 4 days and had a great last trip of the year. Trails were absolutely fantastic. Started in Wawa and went to Chapleau, Timmins, Cochrane, Hearst, Hornepayne, Dubruilville, and back to Wawa. As I was putting the sleds away in the trailer for the final time of the year, I could not help but think how reliable these sleds are. My 03 rx-1 has 12,000 miles and the wifes 01 sxr 600 turned 14,500 miles on the odometer. We have had absolutely zero problems with both sleds. Never a hiccup, breakdown, or ruined trip because of an engine problem. Just gas and oil for both. The wifes has all original parts on her sled including the track. The only thing replaced on my rx-1 was the drive shaft bearing and track at the beginning of the year. Replaced both for peace of mind, not because of failure. Sled had 7,000 miles at the time of replacement. More impressive is the wifes mileage for a 2 stroke motor. People are in amazement when they look at her odometer. Compression is still good in the motor and runs like a champ. I can't tell you the number of sleds we have seen on the sides of the trails with the hoods up the past 3 years. We look at them and say thank god we bought yamaha. We were new to the sport 4 years ago and almost bought cat and glad we did not. Mechanic talked us out of it and said if you want something reliable, buy yamaha and we did.
We are both excited as many of you are for next year. We are retiring both sleds and I am buying the Apex er and the wife is getting the vector. Although I don't post often, I am a frequent reader and have learned alot and enjoy this site. Everyone enjoy their summer, although it is going to be a long one. By the way, those wanting that last ride of the year, still lots of snow and excellent conditions in Northern Ontario. Quit putting mileage on that key board and put it on your sled.

I have has no yamaha related problems with my sleds.

A buddy of mine had somewhere around 16,000 on a viper before it traded it in and still ran very strong. HE also had an Sx And Srx with 16,500 miles with no engine problems. He has never shreaded a belt or foulded a plug in all them sleds. He now has 2 warriors and a rage and said he will never own another 2 smoke again despite their very good reilbiaty he had with them.

I totally agree. I have a old 96 V max XT that I loan out when buddies want to ride. Has 6500 miles on the original engine. Never ran synthetic oil, just the cheapest stuff I could find at the parts store. Had 125 PSI new, now has 120 PSI both cylinders and runs like a top. Never broke a belt or fouled a plug either and its been abused badly. Broke the rear suspension twice, but stumps will tend to do that. By the way for a 96 that old pogo stick front end corners great. Very flat and stable, even with the stock steel skis. I will never own another brand of sled.

Back