• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Zx2

Sportfury

Extreme
Website
jakesauto.com
Well I finally got myZX2 in and what a awsome peice. Installation was very easy and it works better than anybody can say. The only thing that I wish I would have done different would do it the day that I baught the sled zero miles. Then sold all of my parts on ebay or craigs list and recooped over half my cost back. This suspension is so awsome I was 70 mph over bumps no problems this has been the BEST AFTER MARKET enhancement peice I have ever put on the sled. It completly changed the sled the whole thing I did have some chages to make in skis for steering but other than that unbeivable!!! If you ride fast and hard and are tired of boggie wheels, skids, w-arms, and shock revalving this is your answer. IMO I think that my sled is now better than 2011 and I have 12000.00 in my pocket. Clutch,ZX2,Cobra Trac you are done. Now we can have one of the best running 4 strokes avail with a awsome rear suspension . I did loose a little of top end dodnt know if its the cobra or the ZX2 but it was well worth the loss, or is my dream meter more accurate with the cobra?

Little more ski pressure and I also tightened up the valves just a click or two to try and match the rear shocks. It was like putting on a new pair of shoes you dodnt know how the old one feel until you put something new on. But steering was a little soft with good carbides. This suspension sits about 2 inches at least higher in the back and 1 inch in the front of the skid which caused less ski pressure. All is well now

Sportfury said:
Well I finally got myZX2 in and what a awsome peice. Installation was very easy and it works better than anybody can say. The only thing that I wish I would have done different would do it the day that I baught the sled zero miles. Then sold all of my parts on ebay or craigs list and recooped over half my cost back. This suspension is so awsome I was 70 mph over bumps no problems this has been the BEST AFTER MARKET enhancement peice I have ever put on the sled. It completly changed the sled the whole thing I did have some chages to make in skis for steering but other than that unbeivable!!! If you ride fast and hard and are tired of boggie wheels, skids, w-arms, and shock revalving this is your answer. IMO I think that my sled is now better than 2011 and I have 12000.00 in my pocket. Clutch,ZX2,Cobra Trac you are done. Now we can have one of the best running 4 strokes avail with a awsome rear suspension . I did loose a little of top end dodnt know if its the cobra or the ZX2 but it was well worth the loss, or is my dream meter more accurate with the cobra?

I've heard that the ZX2 has a tendency to kick back quite abit, how do you compare this to the mono for that characteristic?

I have approx 14,000 kms since my 136 ZX-2 mod. I can't keep a mono together for my style of riding so I had to do something. I run the ZX-2 really hard and have to say it lived up pretty good and still going. My tunnel and mounting points are still strait and show no signs of wear. So far, its been through 1 shock rebuild (synthetic oil added) and a few idler wheels (bearings) for just wear and tear. The downfall I encountered is premature slider wear, which I've been through more sets then I can count. This is more to blame on poor soft snow conditions which I've had no issues on good snowy trails. The added height seems to take away a bit of handling and I seem to have lost a bit of top end speed which would only be 2-3 mph at most. I guess its more/less a trade off. The rebound is a bit quick, but not sure if its just mine since I have one of the original calibrations.
One thing to consider is this skid runs 8" rear idlers as appose to the stock 7". I would be careful running 1.325 studs or longer since clearance would most likely be compromised if suspension were to bottom. For this reason I'm currently not studded.

Dan

Attachments

• tunnel_2.jpg
    tunnel_2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 179
I'm running the cobra and 1.450 studs and clearance is not an issue. Got about 3500 miles on the skid and have had to replace anything.

sxray said:
I'm running the cobra and 1.450 studs and clearance is not an issue. Got about 3500 miles on the skid and have had to replace anything.

My rear aluminum cross piece just behind the coolant hose is bent from contact after bottoming. Actually been hit a few times. This might be just an issue for those that extended their original 121. My stocker mono was studded with 1.325 and I have stud grooves on top and front heat exchanger. I'm not going to chance studding my ZX-2 unless I go for a smaller lug/stud combo.

Dan

Sportfury said:

Yep, best possible thing you can do to an Apex! It only gets more fun from here on out!

Dano rides his sled HARD HARD HARD.....trust me,if its gonna break Dano would have broke it!..LOL

our last trip was insane most the time..LOL,just awesome!

Dan

Ok...bottom line....are there any used ones out there and if not how much am I going to have to pay for a used one. $1800 for a suspension seems like alot, no matter how awesome it is. jmho

morg said:
Ok...bottom line....are there any used ones out there and if not how much am I going to have to pay for a used one. $1800 for a suspension seems like alot, no matter how awesome it is. jmho

Yup. I know a guy that has a zx2 with 1000 miles on it for $1000. Im thinking of buying it... Was planning on doing the yamacharger and Im not sure I wanna do both.. A little more than I wanna spend this year..

You'll love the ZX-2. My personal opinion is that they could use a little more rebound damping as well, but I've got over 4000 miles on mine and still have original oil in them. Also, mine was one of the earliest ones.

If you do a post search with me as the author, you will find a write up with pictures of the bent exhaust support bracket near the rear coolant crosover. This is a result of stretching a 121" sled into something longer. Stock for stock shouldn't have a problem.

Also, I remember this skid being real stiff the first 500+ miles, then it broke in an was even more comfortable. It only gets better with time! Enjoy an awesome ride without back jarring bottoming out!

Back