• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Cuts Out

I had the same issues. I noticed when I was low on fuel and with the sled turned off I could hear a whistle sound. Unscrewed the gas cap to find positive air pressure. Thought that was the purpose of the tank vent. Took vent out and found it very restricted. Poked both holes blew again and no restrictions. Took machine for a ride with same low fuel. Drove 25 miles with, no stumbLing or hesitation. Ran great. Stopped to check for whistling sound nothing. Took cap off, no positive pressure. Seems to have cured the problem. Check your tank vent!

I had the same issues. I noticed when I was low on fuel and with the sled turned off I could hear a whistle sound. Unscrewed the gas cap to find positive air pressure. Thought that was the purpose of the tank vent. Took vent out and found it very restricted. Poked both holes blew again and no restrictions. Took machine for a ride with same low fuel. Drove 25 miles with, no stumbLing or hesitation. Ran great. Stopped to check for whistling sound nothing. Took cap off, no positive pressure. Seems to have cured the problem. Check your tank vent!

Where is tank vent? I've noticed mine whistle too...and did same as you...unscrew fuel cap and hear it vent lots.

Maybe over temp or faulty temp sensor? Just a guess I was ridding in hard pack conditions and mine was cutting out checked gauges and temp light was on. Felt like one or two cyclinders were not firing.

Talked to my dealer today and he thinks it's electrical. Dealer sent a note to Yamaha tech support but they are closed today for holiday. Hope to get this sorted out, missing ride time dam!!

Maybe over temp or faulty temp sensor? Just a guess I was ridding in hard pack conditions and mine was cutting out checked gauges and temp light was on. Felt like one or two cyclinders were not firing.
I have 300 miles and only had this when i was riding for a long time on ice and it started to overheat. Engine cut out at low rpm like it was hitting a limiter, found some snow and problem solved. Could the temp light have been on? If you where idling for a long time it heats up pretty good.

mines at the dealer now along with wife's 2017 vector, rear air shock crapped out.

Having the same issues. Any resolution.

This thread has kind of gone in different directions. My problem is engine cuts out under hard acceleration. It's like you hit the kill switch. I'm not happy, no solution yet and I have lost a week ride time in a seasons that's already to short.

This thread has kind of gone in different directions. My problem is engine cuts out under hard acceleration. It's like you hit the kill switch. I'm not happy, no solution yet and I have lost a week ride time in a seasons that's already to short.
Get it back & try again. I tried hard to get my sled to this again, & I couldn't. I looked at everything I could try before I went last weekend, and it ran flawlessly all weekend. I have no answer as to why it happened. As to some of the above posts, I'm wondering if it really just was the fuel vent?????

Get it back & try again. I tried hard to get my sled to this again, & I couldn't. I looked at everything I could try before I went last weekend, and it ran flawlessly all weekend. I have no answer as to why it happened. As to some of the above posts, I'm wondering if it really just was the fuel vent?????
Dealer drove it and still doing it. He thinks it's electrical but no answer for sure. Warm temps coming, all disappointing.

Dealer drove it and still doing it. He thinks it's electrical but no answer for sure. Warm temps coming, all disappointing.

Dealer says electrical but after thinking about it maybe it is the fuel vent. It needs lots of fuel under hard acceleration and starves out hmm. Maybe.

Back