• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

just a thought to enhance performance and run cooler

I don't know. Last I remembered when the beer is in the ice it gets cold. :brrr:

We test 2 sidewinder today , 1 with the screen remove and 1 with the artic-cat screen from 2017 cat, we test on a 300km ride with 5 sled , and with no screen not resolve the problem but with the cat 2017 screen it resolve the problem for trail riding, a bit of ice on the bottom and the side but we can see the intercooler and have no rpm Problem.
I am driving the cat screen and follow the group with a max of 2 sled length and not clog the intercooler , the one with no screen was 4 with the intercooler clogged.

The problem is with YAMAHA deflector the ice is accumulate between and have no possibility to disappear because it's coming in a block of ice.
I have pic's but not able to put in here ?

So...heat exchangers are engineered or sized, based on a calculated heat load average. Since every possible variable in temperature change is impossible to predict, engineers estimate the heat load average. The number of rows, fins and core volume determine the heat exchanged to the air from the media being cooled. That is the total surface area available for heat exchange to air. Heat exchangers rely on that surface area and air flow across the surface to transfer heat and lower the charge temperature. High heat of vaporization liquids, like water or better...methanol for example, sprayed on the fins will improve heat transfer based on nucleate evaporation or boiling. In the case for a snowmobile, two things play in its favor and one thing goes against its favor. Favorable conditions include cold ambient temperature operation and the conversion of snow dust to liquid. The are both favorable to maximum heat removal from the charge air. The unfavorable condition is, "the water from the melted snow dust turns to ice". Once air flow across the surface area of the exchanger drops or stops due to ice...the charge temperature goes up, EVEN though the plugging media is cold ice. The reason for this is related to surface area contact and the propensity for ice to lose contact with the fins as it melts, while plugging the free flow of air across and through the fins of the exchanger. Yes, as it melts, water is generated but it can't nucleate boil quick enough to be efficient because the temperature is relatively low for rapid boiling and simply runs off the surface or refreezes. The heat exchanger must be kept free of ice for maximum power output.

just the guy i've been looking for. where does the white go when the snow melts?:welc:

Good info here ,too bad we can't get any part #s yet .

The King Mountain and SW MTX parts list can be found online now. I posted a thread and it was erased for some reason. I ordered the Cat screen and Frogskinz 3 days ago.
Thanks ,any part #s ,

How's your air conditioner work when it's iced up in a frozen block? It doesn't work at all because air is not flowing through the heat exchangers.
Not the same thing! You are pushing warm air thourgh cooling fins to cool it down. On the turbo the warm air is INSIDE the cooler surrounded by ice. Go to a restaurant stand inside freezer and see if you get cold? Then stand with the door half open and half closed and see how soon you get cold? When surrounded by ice things on the inside will always be colder.

Reactions: AXR
Front grille.jpg

SW MTX on left. M9000 on right
Looking closer at my sled I'm not sure adding a grille is needed. I think I can probably just glue the Frogskinz around #22 and put it back in but #18 looks like a better shape to deflect snow.

You clearly don't understand how things work. Air is used to pass through to cool down air already on inside right? So if you go stand Inside a freezer you will get very cold quickly right! Now let me open the door and blow air from the outside at you and see if you get as cold and how quickly you get cold? What make this difference is the warm air is on the inside! And we are surrounding it with cold ice? Vera's a home ac unit that is taking warm air passing it over a cold exchanger air on outside vs inside big difference. Don't you think Yamaha engineers are smarter than us? They knew it doesn't matter.

Go pack the nose of your sled full of snow and take a rip and see how it does.
Charge temp will be lower with cold air passing through NOT lower clogged with cold ice.
I'm out. Have a good season.

Back