• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'03 RX-1 front suspension

zelinsmrx1

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder
Has anyone noticed their front suspension joints getting sloppy? I have 8300 miles on mine and I am noticing some movement in the joints. Has anyone rebuilt theirs? What all did you have to replace? Just the bushings? Are they removable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

front end

I redid my front end at around 7000 miles.....All the bushings are replaceable and not hard to do......Go to the Yamaha on line parts catalog....you will see everything you need....the only ones on mine that were really worn were the inside upper a-arms. I still replaced all...including the spindles.....I did not do the shocks as I plane on replacing for next season...I now have 8200 miles on my 03 Rx.....

JD

Some sloppiness is normal. My buds sled with over 8000 miles is no different than anothers (at least not a big difference) at 1700.

I did as JD did. Replaced all the bushings in the front suspension after 5000 miles, some were worn worse than others but while you're at it, it doesn't cost that much more to know you are doin ok. While disassembling the left side, I found that my spindle was "binding" in the knuckle and upon closer inspection I discovered that it was bent - not the spindle but the aluminum knuckle itself! Called Kevin at Port Yamaha and------BOOM!! had a new one.

Thanks NY_Warrior. I ordered the kits from Pioneer Performance. I priced out the stock bushings and it was going to be about $140 from what I could tell by doing it online. Pioneer's kit was 59 for the control arm bushing kit and 22 for the spindles. So you are looking at half the price for better bushings. They should be at my house when I get home. Hopefully they look and work as good as they sound.

Back