• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 MONOSHOCK SUSPENSION-- NO ZIRKS ??

MELROSEMAFIA

Extreme
YEP, NO ZIRK FITTINGS IN THE NEW SUSPENSION
FACTORY REP SAID NONE WERE NEEDED
HE SAID NORMAL MAINTENENCE IS TO COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLE THE SUSPENSION AND GREASE IT
TIME WILL TELL
BUT MY GUT TELLS ME
PROBLEMS LATER ON DOWN THE ROAD

Thats the way I would bet too. On my 05, YAMAHA told my dealer we have to take out the suspension and grasse it every year. This is one thing I dont like about my new RX-1...

I agree, this was a surprise to me when I picked up my sled, and is something I'm not impressed with from yamaha. This was a big overlook, and I can almost bet that thge 06's will have zerks. I'm currently having my dealer install zerks on my sled right now, costing me $80-100 bucks or so because pulling a suspension apart every year to lubricate is ridiculous. If this is the biggest issue I have w/ the sled, then it's not THAT big of a a deal. All i know is that I'm ready to ride. :Rockon:
Jim

You guys gotta admit it's pretty cool that the only reliability issue you need to worry about is the lack of grease zerks in the rear skid ;)!

It will be fine we have not have grease fittings in cars for a long time. We said the same thing when they stopped.

Seeing that the majority of RX riders will end up changing their sliders at least once a season, I don’t think it’s a big deal to grease the shafts while the skid is out. I do agree their should be grease fittings though.

Yamaha has used the nylon/plastic--not sure which--for years in part of the suspension. They last about 7000-8000 miles before replacing. My 2003 RX-1 has them and with 6700 miles on them they didnot need to be replaced.

My opinion is that the suspension will be ok without the gease. We will see
after some miles are put on. If they work good without gease, thats good as we will have one less thing to take care of.
:yam: ;)!

Where there are no zirks, they use bronze bushings. These bushings are often oil impregnated and can take much more load than the nylon ones. The monoshock suspension applies much high loads than the pro-action did.
I recently rebuilt a Polaris XC-500 for a friend. It used greaseless bronze bushings the same as in the Monoshock. After 6500 miles, I didn't even bother to replace them. The only down side is they seem to need steel tubes running on steel shafts; aluminum is too soft.

GreenMtnRx1 said:
It will be fine we have not have grease fittings in cars for a long time.

Good suspension/steering parts actually have seals to hold grease in. Sled cross shafts don't.

Dano said:
Seeing that the majority of RX riders will end up changing their sliders at least once a season,

If all you need to do is change sliders, why would you remove the skid?

Back