• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 Rage bogging down, please help

KeithL

Country
USA
Snowmobile
05 RS rage
Hi all,
I have an 05 Rage 3 cylinder carb model and what its doing is bogging down when giving it throttle. I have cleaned the carbs, replaced the gas, and replaced the 2 gas filters.....still doing the same thing. It starts right up and idles perfect, but doesn't want to go over 45-50 mph, and has a bogging sound to it. Sounds like its starving for fuel?? I don't know how to test the fuel pumps but they both seem to be putting out the same volume a fuel during start up (I disconnected them and turned the key on). Any help would be great.
Thanks
Keith

Have you pulled the caps off the carbs and checked for torn bellows or broken springs?

Have you pulled the plugs to check the burn?

Try a new set.

Being vacuum carbs, and a sealed intake system, if you can hear the carbs sucking air, are they seated and sealed to the airbox boots? You should not hear any intake noise if everything is sealed properly. And a vacuum leak would definitely causes issues with CV carbs.

Any codes being thrown on the display, especially when it's bogging down?

Check which? Sealed, burn, or for codes, all 3?

Only way to make sure everything is sealed up good is spray some carb cleaner around boots and hoses when idling.

Check which? Sealed, burn, or for codes, all 3?

Only way to make sure everything is sealed up good is spray some carb cleaner around boots and hoses when idling.
No codes, I did the carb cleaner check, put new plugs in, and also tried the coil packs from my vector and still no change. It almost sounds exhaust related because it sounds like an exhaust leak....would that cause it to loss that much power??

No it shouldn't, but try plugging the exhaust with the heel of your thumbs, obviously with gloves on, and see how fast the engine stalls. That'll tell ya what kinda condition the donuts are in.

How many miles on the sled?

What did the plugs look like you pulled out?

If that checks out, I'd be looking into the clutches and their springs.

Mark the primary clutch and cover, so you orientate it back in the same position, and pull the face of the primary off( the 6 8mm head bolts) Make sure the spring isn't broken and the weights swing freely.

Inspect the secondary. Spring & pucks on the helix.

If that checks out, I'd be looking into the clutches and their springs.

Mark the primary clutch and cover, so you orientate it back in the same position, and pull the face of the primary off( the 6 8mm head bolts) Make sure the spring isn't broken and the weights swing freely.

Inspect the secondary. Spring & pucks on the helix.
It has about 6800 miles. I will check the exhaust and clutching this week. Thanks for the tips.

Back