• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 vector throwing belts

SMOKNZ

Extreme
I rode with a buddy this weekend and his wife has an 05 vector that just eats belts. She blew 2 of them in 2 days each time as she neared about 86mph. The sled was having some belt squeeling issues so the dealer advised to remove the little shim washers on the secondary clutch. This obviously didn't work. What are some things to check out?

Bill

My guess would be grooves in the clutch sheaves and the clutch weights...... assuming the clutches are aligned correctly. It comes from running a steady speed too much and not varying the throttle position even when cruising. The 8DN belts are extremely hard and will wear grooves in the clutches after only a few thousand miles if they are constantly riding in one spot.

Want to guess how I happen to know this little "fact"? LaLaLa

I can tell you we hardly ran the same speed. We did alot of off trail and alot of twisties. We would come on straight ways and pound on it and a mile or so it would blow. Pealed the top off the belt both times. I know my buddie is the most anal guy when it comes to sled maintenance, I would hope that he would have noticed a groove in the sheave. How do you check clutch alignment, and would a clutch kit help to eliminate the issues with belt heat?

I have been having belt issues with my 06 with 6500 miles. Been having problems since 3000 miles. I have just discovered the worn primary sheaves and am going to replace those in the next week or so, I hope that solves it. I do NOT ride a one speed for extended periods, as 100% of my riding is on the trail, someone needs to explain how I can ride at one speed on the trail. Poor quallity sheaves would be my guess. My wife has a sled with 6000 miles with NO wear in the sheaves. another brand however.

Attachments

• Overflow 1.jpg
    Overflow 1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Overflow 2.jpg
    Overflow 2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 102
Blown Belts on 06 Vector, groove in driven clutch

See the picture.
Is this what people are referring to by the grooves or cups in the drive clutch sheaves? This is on my wifes sled.
Last year she blew 4 or 5 belts. Could this be causing the blown belts? And what is causing the sheaves to wear like this. My '06 Nytro did the same thing.
Also can someone tell me how to check the offset and alignment between the primary and secondary clutches. Can this be done without an offset tool? The seconday clutch also has a bit of side to side play. Is this normal?
Thanks for any help. Trying to figure out how to quit blowing belts.
BTW, I am taking the primary to the dealer tomorrow. They said they can machine the sheave faces to remove the cupping.

Attachments

• IMG_4533-small.JPG
    IMG_4533-small.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 96
secondary is supposed to float. that grove could be a contributing factor.

Make sure that when the first belt blew it did not bend any metal in the belt area. I had a belt blow once and by the time I drove to the dealer with the spare it was near ready to go as well as my first belt bent a metal shield just enough to rub the new belt.

Oh one of the times the belt blew it bent some metal alright! Enough to cut the lower coolant hose. Kind of took care of riding for the weekend.

have the dealer make sure the alignment is on - if your primary isn't square to your secondary it will make too much heat and the belt will degrade quickly.

yes check those clutch faces ,just did it to daughters sled, it blew 3 belts last year in little milage, and always at higher speeds. got a good used clutch and exchanged parts and a few new parts. and then had motor aligned.

Back