• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 VS. 06 Wheels

Mad Dog

Been lurking around for a while now, great site lots of info. I am looking to buy a used 05 or 06 Vector. I have read a lot about the wheel failures and people updating them with different wheels. I was wondering if the 06 models have this same problem, or if Yamaha has corrected it. Thanks for all the help!

'05 has junk plastic wheels, '06 has junk rubberized. I hear that the dealers are replacing derlaminated '06 wheels with the older style plastic. The plastic wheels don't hold up to stud use well as the rolling surface gets waffled and wears quickly. I still have my worn out plastic ones on but they don't seem to be causing an issue.

My 06 Venture is an awesome machine but... It only get 250 to 300 miles per set of wheels. I AM NOT COMPLAINING 'CAUSE AT LEAST THIS BABY GOT ME BACK HOME EVERY SINGLE RIDE OUT. THIS A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN MY LAST 2 DOOS. THERE IS NO COMPARO. If this is the only problem this machine gives me, I will live with it. There are other wheels I can put on it out there. When your motor goes there is no other make that you can just drop another motor in and go and think of the $$$$ and the wasted weekends waiting for a promise...... but they did not get your parts.
GOTTA LOVE THAT YAMMY. ( SHE'S LIKE A WOMEN, YOU CAN'T LOVE HER ALL THE TIME!!!!! Just most of the time.)

Your best bet is to install a set of aftermarket wheels like Kimpex, Polaris, or Ski-Doo. Lots of existing threads with far more information in them so I suggest you just do a search.

Don't want to leave the impression that all wheels are terrible. The delamination was mostly limited to the two inner idler wheels, which Yamaha corrected for free last season. I had this problem and used Polaris wheels without any issues. Other people did have to replace more than just the inner idler wheels, but this was a very small percentage.

Yummy said:
Yep! the 06 have the wheel problem. I'm still not sure if the 07 are OK?

Haven't had a chance to try out my 07 wheels but once I do I will give reports back if there are any problems. Since it is a known problem and Yamaha like to be known for quality and don't like the cost of fixing them I would say they are of better quality.
Jeff

Kimpex now has a direct replacement using the 6005 bearing. Go to kimpex.com, select the snowmobile catalog and go to page 356, at the bottom you'll see part #04-116-96S and it's only $24.99. Can't order directly from Kimpex but you can order them from Al's Snowmobile 802-487-1000 alssnowmobile.com.

Attachments

• mid mount hood paint.jpg
    mid mount hood paint.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 69
Thanks to everyone for the info. I left Yamaha a few years ago, and went to Arctic Cat but will return soon and I am looking forward to it!!

So the is the problems with the wheels that people are having mostly related to studded track or are the wheels puking out on stock tracks too? -- Stu

I just posted complete instructions to upgrade wheels on your Proactive suspension. This would apply to 05 Vector owners... Monoshock owners could still probably get some good info out it though...

The instructions shows the problem, proposes a few solutions, has drawings for custom parts and actual pics of my upgrade.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=36758

05 Vector with 144 studs and 3750 miles and still look like new. I did pull the seals and regreased them at the end of last season though.

Back