• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex starts intermittently

After taking the sled to the dealer, he finally got it back in running order! They replaced the crank sensor first off and that didn't accomplish anything. Then they tested the stator. They said it was bad. My other buddy was to another dealer and talked to a mechanic about this problem. The mechanic there said that it wasn't the stator and for him not to buy a new one! He claimed it was the pick up coil and handed my buddy one off the shelf. This will fix it he said.

Too late. The stator was already on the plane on it's way. After hearing this info, he thought he had just bought a stator for nothing. They put in the new stator and it started right up!

About a month ago, my buddy noticed a puddle of oil under the sled. He thought it was chaincase oil. He checked it, it was ok and he took it for a ride. Didn't notice any leaking on the trail so he wasn't quite sure where the oil came from. When they put the new stator on at the dealer, they charged him for 3L of oil. They said it goes in the stator. Mhmmm...thats where the oil came from! I guess thats why the stator went! We didn't know that it was a "wet" stator...

Figured I'd finish this thread off and let yas know what fixed the problem..

Well there's a hole in the case between the stator and the cylinder because my buddy could see the connecting rod. So even if the engine is low on oil, so is the stator. This is what he's blaming for the stator going bad. Driving it dry of oil...

If you do a search, the pick up coils are failing after a certain amount of mileage.

I did mine last year, and the pick up coil is wired to the stator and couldnt be bought seperate.

What is the "certain amount of mileage"? I just had the same symptoms. I have almost 17,000 kms on my sled. It's running fine at the moment.

RTX Meirda said:
If you do a search, the pick up coils are failing after a certain amount of mileage..

I did this search, and only came up with a handful of threads, most of which hit because of the "pick up" words in "pick up coil" How common of an issue is this really, and at what mileage are people seeing the failures?

When it happened to me last year, I was on a trip up north and I used my computer to seach TY to see what was going on.

I ordered the part when I got home and all fixed.

I would do it for preventative maintanance at 12,000km

Had similar problem with bike

PC111 used vampire clip to connect wire. Wiggled a little and the thing broke.
Solder it back together and problem solved. Bad ground and connections can cause problems.

Back