• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 attak track hitting protectors

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
Working on my buddies sled. He wanted to switch the track to a 2.86 pitch which necessitated a driver change. Actually we needed to change the front cooler and while we were under there decided to update track as well. Anywho. Pressed 8 tooth 2.86 wahl extrovert drivers onto existing driveshaft, installed with Ripsaw II 1.25" track. As the track turns (is tensioned, aligned) the track is hitting somewhere towards the front of the sled on what sounds like the protectors. The previous track was a ripsaw 1 with studs, this new track doesn't have studs. I am surprised the track lugs are touching the protectors... before I go digging in again, is this normal?

are the drivers bigger? Are the old drivers 7 inch and the new 8?

Old drivers are stock 9 tooth 2.52 pitch. New drivers are 8 tooth 2.86 pitch extroverts. The diameters should be equivalent to .2 inch.

Are you sure its rubbing and not just the extroverts making noise? Extrovert drivers do make some noise as the engage the track windows.

Its rubbing, you can feel it as the track turns (driving around driveway on Rouski wheels). Also turning it by hand you can feel it catch. I just looked at the old track and it is missing lugs right at the windows.

odds are they are rubbing on the protectors and you either have to pull the protectors or use a set of nipper pliers to trim the lugs where they rub on the protectors. you can also let the track wear in to the protectors if that is where it is rubbing.

If I recall this was an attak. Still stock skid? I know on skids like m10 and pro action the front cross shaft was very close to drivers so extrovert teeth could interfere with shaft.

If I recall this was an attak. Still stock skid? I know on skids like m10 and pro action the front cross shaft was very close to drivers so extrovert teeth could interfere with shaft.

Yes, Attak. stock skid, completely rebuilt with beefed up front arm, rebuilt shock, and take what you get powder coating (it was free). The new extrovert is the same diameter as the original driver as we stepped down from 9 x 2.52 to 8 x 2.86. I did measure the period between sticking points by driving the sled down the driveway to see if it is driver related and it isn't. The driver makes a revolution every 22.xx inches of ground travel and the sticking problem happens less often and more randomly.

odds are they are rubbing on the protectors and you either have to pull the protectors or use a set of nipper pliers to trim the lugs where they rub on the protectors. you can also let the track wear in to the protectors if that is where it is rubbing.

Yes, annoyingly. I think removing the protectors is going to be the solution. I will be a professional at removing and installing the driver/chaincase before this project is done..

Project complete, protectors out. It was the top protectors causing the problem, not the front ones (thanks for the little things), track is now free and no longer binding.

For anyone who looks this up. Installed 2.86 pitch 8 tooth whal drivers, a ripsaw II 1.25" track was rubbing the protectors between the front rivets and 1st set of rivets that hold the bent u-shaped tabs that connect the protectors to the tunnel. There are 6 rivets and 2 10mm bolts holding each protectors on. The two bolts are under the exhaust can and can be accessed by loosening the exhaust can (do not need to remove), 4 rivets are straightforward to access under the seat and fuel tank by loosening the two bolts holding the tank in and sliding the tank back and up. The rivets are in pairs laid out diagonal to the long axis of the chassis, and 2 up front you can only access from below.

Back