• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 RS Venture - Overheat

FRASERn

My 06 RS Venture overheated at the end of a 150Km ride today. We had been running trails and some lake sections. We had been on about 5 Km of hard packed when I got the Amber warning light. Got onto lake and powder...did not improve so I stopped and shut it down. Subsequently got a tow home (my buddies new MX...that pull is not going to go away for awhile!). Added alot of coolant when I got home...idles fine and everything seems to be OK. However, I blew a belt first thing this morning...noticed that it has ripped a perfect slot in the front lower cowling (almost looks like it belongs there)...I notice there is a lower hose below the primary that is line with this "slot". I don't see any signs of coolant...Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

FRASERn said:
My 06 RS Venture overheated at the end of a 150Km ride today. We had been running trails and some lake sections. We had been on about 5 Km of hard packed when I got the Amber warning light. Got onto lake and powder...did not improve so I stopped and shut it down. Subsequently got a tow home (my buddies new MX...that pull is not going to go away for awhile!). Added alot of coolant when I got home...idles fine and everything seems to be OK. However, I blew a belt first thing this morning...noticed that it has ripped a perfect slot in the front lower cowling (almost looks like it belongs there)...I notice there is a lower hose below the primary that is line with this "slot". I don't see any signs of coolant...Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Drive into the soft stuff every once in a while to throw some snow up & keep the sliders lubricated. If the light comes on, stop & put some snow on the running boards. At the end of the season, put on a rear cooler

Just took a look at my machine with fresh eyes...all of the top rad hose clamps were loose...will re fill slowly. Are there any tricks/tips to avoid air lock??

Thanks...seems to be working just fine now! and....it is snowing again...PERFECT.

My son shredded a belt last week in Ontario on our 05 RS Venture. Upon inspection and also leaking green antifreeze in the snow I noticed that the delaminating belt put a slit in that lower coolant line you are talking about. That set us back about 3hrs. I don't know why Yamaha would leave that end of the hose exposed like that.

My 05 RS Venture has a factory installed protection shroud over the lower coolant hose under the drive belt.

johnboy said:
My 05 RS Venture has a factory installed protection shroud over the lower coolant hose under the drive belt.

Mine does too except for a small portion. The portion of the hose that is exposed is the portion that does a 90 degree bend and goes into the heat exchanger (4"). This is where the leak was located. The rest of the hose that goes to the running board is covered by the factory installed protection shroud. Maybe when the belt shredded it took out some of that protection shroud. Is 100% of your hose covered by the protection shroud?

My 06 has a protective plate but I can see lower rad hose at both ends...I am going to modify to cover fully...given the cut to the lower cowling the blown belt caused.

It appears that my lower rad hoses are OK...though the front is scuffed and I will replace in the off season. I tightened all the top hose clamps and my problem appears to be solved...It has been leaking for awhile. Snow conditions have been optimum so I assume it took awhile to become an issue. A lesson to me to take a few minutes and check things over routinely.

What I'm trying to fiqure out is whether the hose is completely protected or not. If you guys have your hose completely protected then some of my plate must have become seperated from the blown belt. If I remember correctly the front of the hose was exposed (unprotected) for about 4". Is this correct or has my protection plate been damaged also?

I have an 06 RS Venture and it has a guard but it does not protect the front of the hose which is almost directly under the primary, good spot to catch a blown belt and leave you leaking coolant.

Back