• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 VK spark plug change

I have changed plugs a few times without having to disconnect the hoses.
Not real easy to work at but it can be done. The caps are also a bit hard to remove. If i remeber correctly you have to push and twist. Then you have to use the special plug wrench to get at the plug. it is a good thing the plugs last longer then some of the older sleds I have owned or it would make for some cold fingers on the trail. Good Luck (Take your time and you shouldn't have any problem)

My '08 fouled the plugs in early December...too much choke on a warm day. I was new to Yamaha and four strokes and at first I could not even find where they were. I saw three black things with wires that were not like plug wires. I had to swing the top radiator out of the way and reach in to disconnect the wires and pull out these long black things...I later learned they are individual coils. The manual is no help at all. Anyway I twisted and pulled and the first one popped out. The factory tool kit came with a long plug wrench with a rubber holder so you can lift the plug out of that deep hole. Very strange compared to my old Switchback! The second coil was really stuck so I made a wood fork for a lever and got it out. Be careful because they can break and cost about $100 each. Anyway, I cleaned and dried the plugs and put them back in...vrooom...started right up. I put about 2500 miles on this season on those plugs. I bought a new set but I have not used them. I learned that in weather above 20 degrees you should crank without choke and then gradually ease some choke in while cranking.

Back