• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Apex Gt Rear skid

05rxwarrior

Veteran
will the skid out of an rtx fit in a gt,the gt skid looks like it sits back in the tunnel further than the Rtx,I have the chance to get a 07 gt for Dirt cheap,I rode it sat but the suspension is way to soft for me even with the shocks cranked all the way up and the electirc shock set on hard,I used to have an 07 rtx and really liked it,I weigh 265 and ride really aggresive

I don't want to pass this deal up for this gt but I want to get the ride alot better

Thanks for your input

At 265, your problem with soft suspension is more likely the spring. It would likely be cheaper to pull the Ohlin shock and spring, send the shock to Pioneer and get it revalved, and get a heavier spring. You can call Bruce there, tell him what you weigh and how you ride, he'll fix you right up, I bet. http://pioneerperformance.net/

The GT in particular needs to be set up for individual riders, and this is especially important (and a little harder) at the extremes of the rider weight range. It sounds like the sled you rode, typical of demo rides, had an incorrectly-adjusted spring preload for you, and setting that "sit-in" properly is absolutely key to getting good performance out of that suspension. The problem is that the stock spring from Yamaha on the 07 GT's has a spring rate that pretty much leaves the max weight of the rider at about 220 lbs. More than that and even max preload on the spring and max damping on the electronic shock will leave you bottoming on every dip. Whether or not the GT will meet your expectations, given your weight and aggressive riding style I don't know.

05rxwarrior said:
will the skid out of an rtx fit in a gt,the gt skid looks like it sits back in the tunnel further than the Rtx,I have the chance to get a 07 gt for Dirt cheap,I rode it sat but the suspension is way to soft for me even with the shocks cranked all the way up and the electirc shock set on hard,I used to have an 07 rtx and really liked it,I weigh 265 and ride really aggresive

I don't want to pass this deal up for this gt but I want to get the ride alot better

Thanks for your input
To answer your question, the skid out of an 07 RTX will not bolt right in. You'll need to replace the front brackets and re-position or replace the rears with the mono brackets. I did the opposite switch and it is pretty easy to do. The brackets match up with the holes for the footrest assy and requires virtually no measuring. I measured the rear and re-positioned the brackets but I'm assuming the mono rear brackets would also mount up to existing rivit holes in the tunnel.

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone here delt with Hy-Gear I did a little research on thier site and was considering going with the trail pro package,just would like to know if anyone here has had it done and to see if it is worth the coin.

I just had my GT rear shock rebuilt and revalved at Carver Performance for about 100 bucks. It was the best 100 bucks that I have ever spent! However shame on Yamaha for making me have to fix their inadequate valving. Now I can run my EC on full soft over the small and medium bumps and I rarely need to go above half way on the EC to completely eliminate bottoming out on even the real nasty bumps!

I weigh 200# and I do not need the "big boy" spring. Setting the preload (sit-in) properly is absolutely critical. I was able to adjust mine for 40 mm of sit-in by pre-loading the spring to a 10.6" unloaded length. If you can get your sit-in to within 40-45 mm without pre-loading your spring to less than 10.3 " unloaded length then you do not need the stiffer "big boy" spring. If you put the stiffer spring in without needing it (you should weigh at least 250 #) you will make the sled ride too harsh.

The rear shock is now much better in every possible situation and condition. My GT is like a completely new sled now. I would recommend that you call Mike Carver @ 1-888-349-7469 and let him make your rear shock work like Yamaha should have been able to. http://www.carverperformance.com/

Back