• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 attack no start

satan660

Extreme
ok hey guys,i am not new at these...t this is a new one lol sled was out in about -25c went to go start it,turn the key i could hear my fuel pump
watch my tach do its thing,then turn the key to start and nothing only a click :o| kept playing with the key then let it sit,went back to it and boom
started turning over and started fine was good all day i just dont want to be stuck some where lol....i never herd of this one on the apex

i have had exact same thing. even had the machine warm. stop for 2 hrs go out to start & nothing. from all the research i did it is the relay. i keep a spare onboard. have never had to change it though. if i cycle key back & forth or wait a few minutes. it goes. little scary. i have only had it happen 3 times and it was around -25 c. was out last weekend in -28 c for 2 days & no problems. i did take the time to mark my relays for which one is which. i have been told the three by your left foot can be installed in different order on each machine. was also told guys who had it happen alot were running of powder & it's a moisture thing.

If you can here the fuel pump click on an run when you turn the key to the ON position, then your relays above your footboard are OK.

It sounds like your starter relay has some moisture in it and is freezing on the starter motor contacts. Cycling the key to START position will "click" the relay and snap the contacts together breaking the ice buildup loose each time. After a couple cycles (to start, not just to on) the moisture would be completely off and your sled will start just like you explained. I think your looking at replacing your starter relay which is located on the brake side of your battery. Not a fun one on the side of the trail. You'll see some heavier gauge red wire from the battery to the Starter relay. Not to sure how good you are at reading electrical schematics but I attached the starting system.

Attachments

• Apex Starting System Print.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 120
Just a side note, there are newer relays for above your left footboard that are more resistant to moisture available through Yamaha. I replaced all of mine and carry a spare at all times. I had my fuel injection relay freeze up on me once.

tttario is correct. my mistake. after i went through the issues it was determined that if the fuel pump relay was working (click) then it is the starter relay by the battery. i also carry one as a spare but it is not a trailside change ! did not mean to mislead !

tttario said:
Just a side note, there are newer relays for above your left footboard that are more resistant to moisture available through Yamaha. I replaced all of mine and carry a spare at all times. I had my fuel injection relay freeze up on me once.
yes that exactly whats going on thanks bubs :Rockon:

tttario said:
i did the same i rerouted mine for quick change :Rockon:

yamadog07 said:
tttario is correct. my mistake. after i went through the issues it was determined that if the fuel pump relay was working (click) then it is the starter relay by the battery. i also carry one as a spare but it is not a trailside change ! did not mean to mislead !
yes that exactly whats going on thanks bubs
:Rockon:

Back