• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 nytro terrible handling!! how do u fix this??

180 nytro

Veteran
So I hope I'm not the only one with this problem but my nytro is absolutely terrible for
darting from side to side on the trail or even in a bit of snow with a hard crust on top.

So could it be that my ski's are toed in too much or do I need different skis? Or is there an update that needs to be done?

Thanks guys!

I haven't used this method myself, but I read a thread on Dootalk on a great way to check ski alignment using a 4X8 sheet of plywood. Try a search for it there.

Also the 08's were the "worst" handling of the years.. I would look into the Skinz front end or at least the updated sub-frame (2010+), a-arms and spinldes.

180 nytro
I own an 08. quick cheap fix is to shim up the skies. I believe there is a article in the tech section on this site. I put a 1/4 inch shim under the back side of the ski rubber night and day difference. check ski alignment and set toe out to factory specs. should be good to go. new skis help a bunch as well. mine was down right scary before I shimmed the skies. I rode it that way for two years before replacing the skies and front end.

bholmlate said:
180 nytro
I own an 08. quick cheap fix is to shim up the skies. I believe there is a article in the tech section on this site. I put a 1/4 inch shim under the back side of the ski rubber night and day difference. check ski alignment and set toe out to factory specs. should be good to go. new skis help a bunch as well. mine was down right scary before I shimmed the skies. I rode it that way for two years before replacing the skies and front end.

I did this as a suggestion by bholmlate. Handled much better. This year I bought a set of Gen III's and it's a huge difference.

Shimming the skis won't do a thing for handling in conditions that are not icy hard.

To set toe I use a long straight edge placed against the side of the track and runs out in between the skis. An 8' level, straight 2x4, right angle metal, etc, will work. Start with one ski to get it pointed straight ahead with zero toe and then set the other with zero toe. Once they are both perfectly set straight ahead than dial in your toe out.

Once I get my toe set up I then check my handlebars and align them by measuring off the back of the tunnel while making sure my skis don't move.

The '08 can be made to handle okay, once you flip the spindles. But, the Nytro will never handle as good as the other sleds because it is too top heavy. The Skin's kit looks promising but is very expensive if you have to get different shocks.

AKrider said:
Shimming the skis won't do a thing for handling in conditions that are not icy hard.

To set toe I use a long straight edge placed against the side of the track and runs out in between the skis. An 8' level, straight 2x4, right angle metal, etc, will work. Start with one ski to get it pointed straight ahead with zero toe and then set the other with zero toe. Once they are both perfectly set straight ahead than dial in your toe out.

Once I get my toe set up I then check my handlebars and align them by measuring off the back of the tunnel while making sure my skis don't move.

The '08 can be made to handle okay, once you flip the spindles. But, the Nytro will never handle as good as the other sleds because it is too top heavy. The Skin's kit looks promising but is very expensive if you have to get different shocks.

So flipping the spindles from right to left helps? I just heard about this. Is it a pain in the arse to do that? Anymore wear on items?

The principle behind shimming the skis is to put more pressure on the rear of the carbide. It works for hard, icy trails but if the trails are not rock hard, it doesn't have much effect.

I discovered that by flipping the spindles on the '08, the tie rods are angled into a more desirable location that reduces bump steer. Less bump steer = better, less twitchy handling through the stutter bumps. I didn't think it took too much work, best of all it is free. The mountain Nytro's used the '08 geometry until 2010.

Buy a Trail sled not a stand up aggressive snow cross sled. Im sick of people complaining I have an 08 and love how it handles. Yah it darts On the trail but stand up and do some ditch banging like the sled was designed to do and it is very predictable an does everything I want it to due.
But I could leave the seat at home because I don't sit down well riding.

Just hear this all the time and think that those people would of been happier on an apex or the vector. Not their snowcross ditch banger rider forward chasis

good for u! but ditch baggers dont go far in mountain powder, and if your ditch bagger darts around too then there is something to be fixed. cuz i see alot of good ideas here and obiously it is fixable to a point.

thanks guys for all the replys, it sounds like im not the only one with this problem...

so il try all of the things suggested

ill try the shims cuz the trails off the mountain are often hard pack and icy

ill check the toe, but once it has been messured to be strait and square where should i meassure to get the specified messurement? and do i mesure each side individually?

and flipping the spindles? do u mean just taking the right one and placing it on the left vise versa?

appreciate all the help!

Back