• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 1200 GSX vs 08 Vector RS GT...my review

ragdoll

Extreme
First a bit of background. I'm a member here and at Doo Talk. I will be posting this exact review there are well to be balanced.

I've been with Yamaha since the 70's (I'm 52) and sold my beautiful anniversary Vector this past spring due to moving homes.

When I began again looking this fall, I couldn't find anything decent, but was searching another Vector or Apex. Out of the blue, and very close to me this GSX came up, and after some quick research, I bought it. My first Ski-Doo.

I put 3800 km on the Vector before I sold it, but only have put on 900 km on the GSX as of this writing.

For my personnel comparative review, both sleds are (were) bone stock with studded tracks on each and dual carbides on the Vector. I trail ride mostly, lakes as well, and am a medium rider, not overly aggressive but still like to have fun.

So here is my take. Please be considerate and keep in mind these are my views only, take them for what they are worth. Please don't bash either brand as that is not the intention of this posting and I will have it deleted should it turn that way.

Suspension/Handling: The difference in out of the box ride quality is night and day. GSX hands down. Very comfy, smooth, soaks up bumps much easier, and I like the riders seating position much better. After 3 straight days of riding, I don't feel a thing. With my Vector I'd be hobbling around the house after 2 days. To be fair, I should have played around with various settings on the Vector, but had everything set to "medium". On the GSX, I have since adjusted the coupling blocks to 4, torsion springs to 5, center shock to 2 and front shocks at 0. No limiter strap changes.

The Vector did not dart on me, but I put on dual carbides before my first ride. The GSX does not dart what so ever either, but with it's stock set up.

Power: Close call, on paper the GSX should be faster, but it just doesn't feel that way. The Vector felt much torquier where as the GSX feels smoother and more refined in delivery. I really miss the sound and visceral feel of my Vector. The GSX is mundane and predictable, but still ballsy. In any case, both sleds have plenty enough power for me, and I would assume most people in my market demographic.

Both sleds appear to have the same fit/finish characteristics, seems good. I like the simple GSX side panel access better as I hated having to dick around with those little twist screw pins on the Yamy, especially at night or when really cold out. The GSX wins out as well with ample storage, adjustable bars, mirrors and a nicer gauge package.

Overall Durability: Ha...jury is still out on this one, too early to tell. But I can say that is one thing I NEVER worried about with any of my Yamaha's. With the GSX, after my very first 70km trail ride, the friggen chain case blew out. Only 2000 kms on the sled when I got it. That left a real bad taste in my mouth. It's been fixed and I'm trying to look past that. Then, just this weekend the thumb warmer quit. No biggy, but another issue I was not expecting on a newer low mile sled.

From purely a subjective, personal view point, the Vector is one drop dead gorgeous sled. That red/white anniversary 70's color scheme is to me the nicest out there. The exhaust note and that riders viseral feeling, as mentioned earlier, is something I really miss.

The GSX is growing on me though, and I hope it stays as reliable as to what I'm used to. It also is a good looking sled, but doesn't get the same looks.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence with either sled. Overall, with any one you'd have a great snowmobile.

I intend to update later in the season, and am looking forward to lining up a Vector on the lake to further document my review.

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_1903-1.jpg

IMG_0001-2.jpg

nice writeup, the GSX are supposed to be some real nice sleds. i'm totally new to sledding and having a basic idea what i wanted did some research which led me to a 2010 ltx gt. i recently read reviews on the GSX SE that make me wish i had ridden both before buying. that said i just think the ltx is a much nicer looking sled the DOO sleds just look funky to me. i wanted a red ltx and could only find one within reasonable distance plus they dropped that color for 2011 so i jumped on the one i could find. they've made a number of improvements between the 08 and 10 vector (plus the longer track) which might close the overall gap some, the GSX is more expensive as well. i still wish i had ridden both but at this point unless the vector gives me some real strong reason to get rid of it, it will be with me for some time

Wow i thought the vector did not move into the apex chassie until 2010,that was whan it got the FI motor of 130 hp,like the nytro has,that is differant than the 05 vector we have,it sure looks to be in the apex body style.

Back