• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 T Z1 Turbo Touring LXR vs. 10 RS Venture GT

RnR

Veteran
I also posted this on hardcoresledder. I've been doing a lot of research on two-up sleds. I'd like to get my wife out more and she is not too confident driving herself. There's some pretty nice deals on new left overs, especially those 1 or 2 years old. Considering my area is in need of a bit of snow after that February thaw I have some time to play around on the computer and hopefully persuade some of you to chime in on my observations.

The best brand new sleds I've found in my neck of the woods are these (Canadian pricing):

1) 2010 RS Venture GT - $10,999 (reg MSRP $15,249)
2) 2009 Arctic Cat T Z1 LXR Turbo Touring - $13,291 (reg MSRP $17,999)
For both sleds taxes need to be added in but PDI & Freight are already included.

Riding would be 90% groomed trails and the rest ditches. My current sled is a F5 LXR which I'm keeping. No, I have not ridden either machine. However my current AC has the same twin spar chassis which handles real nice and has a comfy ride all day long. So here are my conclusions based what I've gathered from others…

+ TZ1 - handling. Seems the Venture takes some patience and fiddling to get the handing close to what the AC delivers out of the box.

+ TZ1 - power. Hard to compete against 177hp/121ft.lb.torque. But top speeds mean little to nothing to me. Still I like horsepower.

= - comfort. All things considered, probably a wash. TZ1 has the adjustable and heated seat, plus adjustable bars, Venture the nice windshield. I know the F5 is really comfortable and sitting on the TZ1 it feels the same. But the Venture feels great just sitting on it in the showroom. I've read here some don't like the bars coming back so close to the rider and the seat division doesn't allow the driver to move back far enough. My first impression was the closeness of the bars would go a long way to easing the tension on the upper thoracic area muscles. I guess some time in the saddle would tell. The Venture has the noisy ride. The engine noise on my F5 is loud enough that I've been considering wearing earplugs. So with some ear protection I doubt the noise of the Venture track will be a major concern. If it is, I'll follow up some of the suggestions that have been posted on the TY 4 stroke forum.

+ Venture - fuel mileage Better probably by around 15%, maybe more. Plus with the Venture you don't have to be concerned about finding high octane.

+ Venture - fit and finish. I hate saying 'fit and finish' but I like to make a distinction between how a machine looks to be crafted and it's apparent reliability. The Venture looks brilliant. How many wax this beauty? Everything about the appearance, components, controls, etc. exudes quality. It gives the perception that this machine costs more to manufacture. The Arctic Cat doesn't have nearly the same polish.

+ Venture - reliability. This is the most important consideration for me. Venture clearly appears to be way out in front of the TZ1. I wish the AC didn't have so many potential quality issues on the TZ1. There have been overheating issues, gas tank wearing on engine mount issues, clutch alignment issues, CCU troubles, loose cables, hoses and fittings. A lot of stuff that I don't want in the back of mind when I'm out on the trail. Mind you I have had zero problems with my F5. There was a factory recall for lower a-arms but I didn't miss any trail time.

+ Venture - storage. Get a load of the truck on this thing! Combine with a top box or bags and packing for multi-day trips would be a synch.

Well those are the major points. The other thing, particular to my location, is dealer support. I live near an excellent AC/Yamaha combined dealer. Although the Venture I've found is a couple hundred km away (also out of a respected dealer). The local shop is the one with the TZ1. It's also where I bought my F5. I'm leaning about 90% toward the Yamaha. So now I'm left with … do I buy this year? BTW I did take a good look at the Grand Touring 1200. Also a very nice sled. But the prices are quite a bit higher. Mostly because there aren't many leftovers. Also the Bombardier dealer support in my area is not that good.

Woops, I just noticed the Head to Head forum. Looks like I posted this in the wrong place. Maybe one of the mods can move it?

man what a toss up...i have an 07 z1 and an 06 nytro ER(vector chassis). i love the ride quality of the z1, it blows away the yamaha. But the motor and fuel mileage are way better on the yamaha, of course my z1 isnt a turbo though. If you add woodys doolys or snowtrackers to the yamaha it greatly improves the yamahas handling. i guess if you are only rollin with your wife with it i would go vector. hope this was some help, according to what your looking at too,the yamaha is 3k cheaper and one year newer

Not to sure about pros & cons on the Cat,,,,,,

Here ar some con's on the Yami:

Unless you are 6' tall you can't see the speedo on the RS V-gt, (Yamahaha knew this as they cut a "window" in the handlebar pad)

AND If you don't want it to be "tippy" it is suggested that after you spend $$$$$$ on a brand new V-GT that you buy news ski's ($$) to make it more stable.

AND buy ($) a wheel kit to save the hyfax OR SLP disk to install on the track that is only clipped every 3rd window.

AND buy a new track ($$$) to get rid of the harmonic drone after you just spent $$$$$$ on a brand new V-GT.

AND buy a set of gauntlets ($) for the rear passenger.

AND if you are 6' plus you will need to have a custom seat ($$$) made for the driver, so you are not sitting on the hump or pushed too far forward if you sit where you are supposed to.

AND find the idiot who designed the overflow for the gas tank and FIRE HIM! (the over flow spills right on to the seat)

AND my experience with CS is,,, they don't care. ( I bought 3 Cat ATV's because of poor CS, Planned on buying Yamaha )

There is nothing wrong with having issues with a new sled,,,, BUT they should be corrected the next model year and THEY ARE NOT! (These have been going on for YEARS,,,,hyfax wear, donuts, handlebar heaters, ice buildup in tunnels.)

Pro's= Engine & Drive

Good luck!

Well I have to say that the Venture GT is so far for me a phenomanal sled.
I have the suspension dialed in. Before this sled I wouldn't even understood how to do it. When I finally decided on the RS GT I forced myself to learn how to tune a suspension. It was fun to do and got me to understand the dynamics of a snowmobile ride. It's really common sense on how to do it actually.
The hyfax wear is something that happens initially but then stops. I have to admit that I purchased the Excell X wheels and will put them on after this riding season is over.
I did change out the stock carbides and installed dual carbides. Simple quick efficient way to make any sled handle way way better than stock.
These carbides have in my mind totally negated any need for different skis.
As far as noise from the track. Yes it is noisy. But the sled is no more noisy than any other sled I have ridden. My last sled was a Ski Doo 700 Grand Touring. It was the same noise level. With either sled I can ride with or without earplugs. With earplugs though the Yami Triple 4 stroke can be heard so nicely. Sounds like an F1 race car.
Fit and Finish is the best bar none. No other sled manufacturer has the same level of quality IMHO.
The milage is great and it's also so great to not have to purchase Syn Sno anymore.
Oh and the seat. I am 6'4 and 240. The seat once you get used to the seating position (because most of you are getting of non Rev style machines) is just where you want to be. When running with the 600s you are forward and being aggresive. When you want to sit back and relax there is plenty of room to do so. Use the back rest in a forward position you like. It is really great to lean back sometimes.
Well that's it for now. Did a 240 mile day just a couple of days ago and went right out the day after. Couldn't wait to either. Felt great after the 240 day.
What ever you ride. Be Safe and have fun.

Thanks for all the replies ;)!

whtmnt I'm close to you in height. I didn't feel any closeness in the seat when I tried it. Glad to hear at 6'4" it works for you. I think, bang for the buck, I'll have a hard time doing better than the Venture for $11k.

Now I just need to decide whether to do something before spring or wait until next year.

This past week a freind and i went on a 200 mile ride and he rides a 2009 lxr turbo touring and i ride a 2005 rage and we fueled up after 92 miles and i took 4.5 gals and he took 5.5 gals. I thought that was very good for his sled since its a 2 up with only 500 miles on it. I rode it once and it far out handles and out rides my sled.

RnR said:

whtmnt I'm close to you in height. I didn't feel any closeness in the seat when I tried it. Glad to hear at 6'4" it works for you. I think, bang for the buck, I'll have a hard time doing better than the Venture for $11k.

Now I just need to decide whether to do something before spring or wait until next year.
Now i am confused,i thought the venture,in fact all the ventures had the 1050cc nyto motor,but one fella mentioned the sweet sound of the 4 banger apex motor,so which motor is in the venture.

The 09 cat turbo sleds had some issues that have been worked out on the newer models. I would stay away from a 09 turbo from what I read and heard.

mnmsnowbeast said:
RnR said:

Now i am confused,i thought the venture,in fact all the ventures had the 1050cc nyto motor,but one fella mentioned the sweet sound of the 4 banger apex motor,so which motor is in the venture.

'09, '10, '11 RS Venture GT engine appears to be based on the Nytro triple.

http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/yamaha/2009-yamaha-venture-gt-review-693.html

http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/yamaha/2010-yamaha-venture-gt-review-1043.html

bottlerocket said:
The 09 cat turbo sleds had some issues that have been worked out on the newer models. I would stay away from a 09 turbo from what I read and heard.

Yep, that and saving a couple thousand bucks pushed me to the Venture.

Back