• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'09 XTX Electical/Starting Issue

snowriderjoe said:
Is there a better/newer starter relay I should replace the old one with?

I cut and pasted the following from a previous post I did but it should cover the starter relay info for you along with some other good info pertaining to your issues with the relays.

Both relays have caused some issues. If you have a sled that works normally when the temperature is above zero but cranks over and doesn't start when it is bitterly cold out (usually below zero) and you don't hear the fuel pump running when cycling the key - it most likely has a frozen/sticking fuel pump relay causing a lack of fuel pressure not allowing the sled to start. New for 2014 is a new solid state relay (old relays were mechanical - moving parts) - the new solid state relay has no internal moving parts so sticking when cold shouldn't be a problem. The part number on this new relay is 8GN-81950-00-00 and it can be identified by its red casing. The new relay has the holder part built into it and for people wondering which relay of the ones on their sled is the actual fuel pump relay the easiest way to identify it on the sled is to look at the wiring going to the relay as from the factory the consistency to how they mount them on the relay holder varies from year to year and sled to sled (this also confuses people looking at the microfiche as the order on the sleds relay holder has never been consistent). The easiest way to locate it is that the fuel pump relay has 3 red wires and one blue wire going to it. We now have the new 2014 red relays in stock if anyone needs them and plan on bringing some to the snow shows this fall.

The starter relay issue on the other hand can happen at any temperature and when it is the issue the sled will usually not crank over - however we have also seen some corrosion issues on the starter relay/connector that cause power not to ever get to the fuel pump relay as well. The fuel pump relay is fed power off one of the small 10 amp fuses on top of the starter relay. When this happens it seems much like a frozen fuel pump relay as the sled will crank but not start and the fuel pump doesn't run. On the FX Nytro models the starter relay is located directly under the right side panel vent and what happens is snow/rain drops down through the vent and enters the top side of the relay wiring connector and over time causes corrosion to the connector terminals and moisture enters the relay corroding it as well. This is mainly a problem on 08-10 models as the wiring connector on the relay was an open style allowing the moisture intrusion. The 2011 and newer FX Nytro models use a sealed connector/relay which has solved the corrosion issue. The 2011 and newer style connector/relay are not retrofittable to the 08-10 models as the connector is not sold separately. The best way to fix an 08-10 model is to clean up the connector terminals and use a new 08-10 style relay and then pack the terminals full of dielectric grease to help prevent the moisture intrusion. On 08-10 FX Nytros I have also seen people relocate the relay and or make shields over the top of it to help prevent the moisture from coming in the top side of the connector - also not leaving the sled outside without a cover on will help prevent snow from getting on the relay when the sled is not in use.

Attachments

• t_red_fuel_pump_relay_2_859.jpg
    t_red_fuel_pump_relay_2_859.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 62

So here is a follow up to my previous posts.

As I said in one of my past posts, the wiring harness checked out fine so I replaced the fuel pump relay with the solid state one, the crankshaft position sensor, and a new starter solenoid.
The sled worked great all winter (1200 miles) until this past weekend while I was on a 3 day backpack trip.
150 miles into the 2nd day I stopped to put gas in and when I tried to start it the Code 12 came back up and it wouldn't start.
The fuel pump cycles and it turns over but will not fire. The previous day we had rode 200 miles with most of it thru powder snow and there was a lot of snow under the hood. But it started just fine in the morning even at -8 deg F.

Now I'm really frustrated. I'm wondering if it could be a bad fuel pump?

I am dropping it off at a dealer today and want them to try to start it cold before they bring it into the shop to warm it up.

mine did this, i swapped the starter relay, and it was all good.
glad i had the relay in stock because it gave me a hard time 1st start this season, took 7 or 8 key turns to get er to crank.

problem is the idiots mounted the relay upside down, so if you dont put dielectric grease in the harness connector, water gets down into the unit and shorts it out.
VERY COMMON on these. been known to stick on and wipe the starter out too.

this was actually my 2nd relay in stock, as the 1st went into my shorttrack due to a non-start. so i had just got the replacement for the xtx but not put it in, when luckily, in the garage, it reared its head again.

Well, I took care of the problem this weekend. I traded it in for 2014 Viper LTX at the dealer that tried to diagnose the issue.

Back