• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1.6" Ice Cobra Track Life

yamaha06

VIP Member
I had my 1.6" ice cobra installed on my Sidewinder since new, I now have 12,000km on the sled. During the first ride of the season I noticed a couple of the outside lugs tearing at the base of the track. Since I was on a saddlebag trip I continued to ride the sled, I had one lug tear off and I just put some industrial goop over the spot to help keep the track cord from getting damaged as recommended by camoplast. I rode the sled for the rest of the season with no issues. The track looks to be in great condition other then the couple outside lugs, I think the biggest problem that contributed to these couple lugs getting damaged was due to ice build up in the tunnel and when riding hard the track making contact with these icebergs.

Needless to say I think it is time for me to change the track out, I like the 1.6" ice cobra as the studded lugs to seem to help a little. I was debating on the 1.6" ice cobra or the 150 storm. Has anyone had the chance to run both of these tracks? Just looking for some reviews. How many KM/Miles have you guy's been getting out of your tracks? I was hoping to get a bit more life out of the track, I always make sure I start my ride off with removing the big chunks of ice, but may have to make sure I keep an eye on that tunnel through out the day.

My IceCobra has 8300 miles on it. Granted its on a Viper, so its had a EASIER life. It still looks good.

The cobra is proven, the storm much less. You caused the damage, not camoplast. Been changing tracks for 30 years and have never seen a defective track, only defective operators. In your defense, the ice chunks do serious damage and I myself have failed to get it out at times and done damage such as the hose, but never torn a lug, but easily could see it happening. I have seen a guy remove every outside lug on both sides in 50 miles on a brand new track. mach 780 with low snow over rough terrain

The cobra is proven, the storm much less. You caused the damage, not camoplast. Been changing tracks for 30 years and have never seen a defective track, only defective operators. In your defense, the ice chunks do serious damage and I myself have failed to get it out at times and done damage such as the hose, but never torn a lug, but easily could see it happening. I have seen a guy remove every outside lug on both sides in 50 miles on a brand new track. mach 780 with low snow over rough terrain

I am not blaming camoplast at all. I always remove all the ice chunks from the tunnel at the end of the day or after stopping for lunch. Sometimes in the right conditions the ice builds up and there is nothing you can do about it. I was just stating what more than likely caused the lugs to tear. You would most likely not see this as much with sleds running shorter lugs and studs.

You've done good with that track. I can't that many kms out of any track at all!

Spinning on hard chunky ice rips lugs off like near the end of the year when there's not much snow unless you have 192 studs or so its gonna happen not due too rubbing ice in the tunnel

Back