• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

11,000 Mile Trail Tank Review

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I installed the Trail Tank before I ever rode my Nytro last year. The initial install was a slight pain. I could not get the fuel pump into the new tank until I shaved down the opening slightly. From there, it was a tight fit putting the tank on the sled. Took some pounding to get it to fit. Now that I have taken the tank on and off enough times I can get it on with little effort. Same goes for installing the panels that screw into the tank. Trail Tank mentions that the tank expands slightly over time which must be why the tank fits better now.

The thumb screws that are used for the panels are certainly not as quick as the Dzus fasteners. The thumb screw by my right knee was a royal pain as it would constantly come unscrewed when riding due to my knee making contact. I eventually replace the thumb screw with a allen head and no longer have a problem. I hear the new tanks now have Dzus fasteners which would be great to have.

In regards to wear, there are a couple areas on the bottom of the tank that are showing rub marks. I have tried to stick foam weather stripping to these areas but I am not sure that it is sticking enough to stay in place during the install. I may try and make a better attempt at stopping this wear in the off season.

Now that the tank has had time to settle and I worked out the bugs with the fasteners, I am very happy with it. It is nice to have the extended range without carrying cans. Overall it is a great product!

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 310

Trail tank

Love mine. I have the newer model with the dzus fastners. It was a tight fit, but got it done and love the extra mileage. I do carry a stubby screw driver to put the new trail tank dzus fasteners back on as they can be a bitch to get started. Over time they may get easier.

Pete

I have one but can't fill it all the way up, or gas pours out the over flow....any fix for that?

Re: Trail tank

herndonp said:
Love mine. I have the newer model with the dzus fastners. It was a tight fit, but got it done and love the extra mileage. I do carry a stubby screw driver to put the new trail tank dzus fasteners back on as they can be a bitch to get started. Over time they may get easier.

Pete

I still have yet to see a picture of the new tank with the dzus fasteners. Based on your post I take it they look like the OEM fasteners but screw in instead? Do you happen to have a picture?

Tyloooor said:
I have one but can't fill it all the way up, or gas pours out the over flow....any fix for that?

I have never had this issue. Have you asked Seth at Trail Tank?

Mine overflows if I fill to the top as well. Just have to leave it a little short of full to avoid it.

Dzus fasteners have the D rings but usually have a screwdriver slot in the end as well.

I bought some longer Dzus fasteners from Kurveygirl.com and they work sooooooo much better. trailTank should provide these with the kit or at least let the customers know they are available. The stock Dzus are too short and require you to use a screwdriver to push them down far enough to grab.

dzus fasteners

When I received my trail tank it came with new Dzus fasteners that have a screw slot in them as well as the turn handle like on the stock Dzus. I have had to use a shorty screw driver to get them started as reported above. Trail tank did include these with the tank I purchased from them a month ago.

Pete

Twistgrip said:
On all of your trail tanks is the gas gauge accurate like in stock form and does the low fuel light come on like normal?

I'd say yes.....

I agree that the low fuel light comes on pretty close to what the stock tank does, however the first bar doesn't drop on the gauge until you have 40 or 50 miles into the tank.

The stock sending arm is still in the elevated position with the extra volume of the trail tank for those first 3 ish gallons.

Ya, I noticed the light comes on about the same time as the stock tank, there is about 6-7 litres left in the tank.

Glad i put one on. Game changer for this sled. Now I have tons of range. Wish I did it when I bought the sled.
MS

Back