• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

112 on radar, 130 on dream meter!

rapeape

Expert
Website
campkevin.com
Thanks to the imput on this site, I ran a personal best 112 mph. Only three of us were out, an '07 600 Polaris, my Apex GT and the guy with the gun. I made a trial run and hit 128 on the DM. I then tucked my #*$&@ in real tite, taped the throttle and held it for about a mile of slight up and down grade changes on a marginal condition state forest road. There were a couple of bystanders on F7's who were pretty much in awe. The strong running 600 was able to hit 98.

The radar gun was a funky thing with 3 inch tall digital readout numbers. Later in the bar a buddy told me that the gun seems to max out at 112. Any guess as to what 130 DM equals in MPH?

Thanks to everyone on this site for the good reading and tuning tips, my sled performed perfectly and is strong like bull.

Does the speedo mod effect any accuracy at lower speeds? That is one I've just been leery to do. I don't do a lot of ultra-high speed riding anyway.
Do you think that the engine gets any info from the speedo, like it does on cars? If so, would it effect operation?
Nate

nate007 said:
Does the speedo mod effect any accuracy at lower speeds? That is one I've just been leery to do. I don't do a lot of ultra-high speed riding anyway.
Do you think that the engine gets any info from the speedo, like it does on cars? If so, would it effect operation?
Nate

NO,NO and NO..LOL

It's near perfect at all speeds..even middle and lower within 2mph...why would anyone want to ride a sled with huge digi speedo that is 15mph hi all the time?..its beyond me guys...it takes zero $ and about 10 minutes...

this wasnt an issue with yammies before they had a huge digi speedo..they were always HI by 15 or so for many many yrs!...but now with the huge awesome speedo..i want mine right!

did several of sleds right off the bat...as you all know i HATE when things dont work right!

-remove belt
-remove secondary
-remove 14mm bolt and gear/pickup
-grind 2 teeth off with dremel(It's NOT a normal gear,its a electronic pickup so NO WORRIES!)
-reinstall
-ENJOY accurate speedo!

I wouldn't steer you guys wrong!

BTW,when i ran 120mph on radar it read 119 speedo...not bad eh!

Dan

Attachments

• Gear Mod.jpg
    Gear Mod.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 82
Dan, I see you online, how much snow did you get? I am headed to Parry Sound in the morning.

I think I'll grind the second tooth off mine I suppose....but it just makes it just that much harder to hit 100mph!!!

What does that do to the odometer? I prefer accuracy there over speed. I run a GPS on the handle bars and current odo is very close. Speed? If I can keep ahead of the guy trying to beat me, don't care how fast it is. The GPS will record the max speed in addition to instant.

rx1 fern said:
does this work on the rx1 too.

Yup, but I had heard that 2 teeth makes it too low....so maybe try one and run it with a GPS if you can.

I've only had one off on my Apex since I got it...on GPS it was still 5mph high....

craze1cars said:
Grinding teeth to fix the speedo will cause the odo to read low. There would be no other negative effects. Clearly Machzed prefers to have an accurate speedo. I prefer to have an accurate odo.

Each person just has to choose one or the other.

Silly question but..... i would assume the odo works off of the speedo, therefore dream meter speeds would also suggest higher mileage than actual......

i figure the DM can stay how it is.... i just talked to my dealer yesterday, she had a customer that "adjusted" the gear and now the speeedo doesnt work at all, and yami wont cover it under warranty because of the "adjustment"

speed is relative..... if your riding 110 or 120 does it really matter... your still going FAST!!!!!!!!

onlyblue said:
i figure the DM can stay how it is.... i just talked to my dealer yesterday, she had a customer that "adjusted" the gear and now the speeedo doesnt work at all, and yami wont cover it under warranty because of the "adjustment"!

I highlighted the keyword....nuff said about a cluesless person at a dealer...

You cannot HURT anything by grinding these teeth off....

onlyblue said:
Silly question but..... i would assume the odo works off of the speedo, therefore dream meter speeds would also suggest higher mileage than actual......

Not a silly question...logical assumption actually. But Yamaha did not use logic when they set up these computer displays...instead they played some marketing games. I believe most anyone who experiments with a GPS Speedo/trip meter on these sleds will see something very close to what I found:

115 mph speedo = 100 mph GPS recorded max speed. 15% off
100 miles on odo = 98 miles GPS trip meter. 2% off

The only explanation I could possibly come up with for this is that Yamaha engineered and programmed these things to make you think they are going faster than they are. And they full well knew it...since they got my odometer pretty darn close. It really and truly is a "dream"meter, and specifically programmed to be nothing more than that.

Another tidbit of math:
# of teeth on speedo pickup gear is 15. Grind 2 off, and you're removing 13.33% of the pickup pulses (2 divided by 15)

Therefore, assuming my GPS is accurate, griding 2 teeth would definitely cause my speedo to be really darn close to accurate, as Machzed has repeatedly stated. But it would also cause my odo to read about 13% low. As I stated earlier, it's just a harmless choice each person can make. There's no way I know of to get them both dialed in.

Back