• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

12 volt plug blowing fuses

apex#1

Veteran
Ive heard from other apex owners that the 12 volt plug keeps blowing fuses just checking if theres a fix or a link from a previous thread that would help me out. My buddys rtx went from a 2 amp, 7, 10, 15, 20 amp and finally he says it stopped blowing for now. F.Y.I im using it for my heated visor.... 08 apex gt

20 amps sounds really high. i'm running a 5 amp, for 2 years now, no problems. What kind of helmetelectric shield are you using? you may have a short somewhere in the circuit.

I still had the factory 2 amp the 20 amp was my buddys rtx. Im running a standard HJC cl-15. im going to try a 5 amp and hard wire my visor as a just in case.

I also was able to wipe out a 15 and a 20 amp accesory fuse.. I'm going to check the shield and wiring to helmet for any potential shorting. I'm considering wiring my shield directly to battery and putting an inline fuse like I have in past snowmobiles without any issues.

i just changed the blown fuse and replaced it with a 3 amp ill try it again. There should be no short its a brand new helmet and a brand new snowmachine. I also wired it direct to the battery as a back up. There must be an issue with this, It was a good thing i did to as i took off the air filter it wasn't attached to the carbs---- pissed off. Its a brand new machine with 328 miles on it and paid the standard $150 P.D.I set up. The dealer is getting a call on Monday

Mine only blows the fuse if the cord ends up touching the chassis. I think the problem is that the female end that hangs off has some metal exposed. I would have thought that this would have been the ground, but apparently it is hot because once it touches anything metal on the sled, the fuse is history. It never has blown when the shield has remained plugged in.
I just wish the access to the fuses were easier. Taking the side panel off sucks, but I have become pretty proficient at it!

Coondog2707 said:
Mine only blows the fuse if the cord ends up touching the chassis. I think the problem is that the female end that hangs off has some metal exposed. I would have thought that this would have been the ground, but apparently it is hot because once it touches anything metal on the sled, the fuse is history. It never has blown when the shield has remained plugged in.
I just wish the access to the fuses were easier. Taking the side panel off sucks, but I have become pretty proficient at it!

X2

Back