• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

14 viper help

Yamaha81

Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Yamaha Viper
Hi guys
I’m new to the site. Just sold my 06 Alex and went to a 14 Viper. Definitely notice that the apex had more power but I like the weight of the viper. The exhaust seems like it getting loud and rattling so I think I may need to replace it. Looking for recommendations on a can or exhaust. Seems like some cans you have to tune the sled, I would rather not and looking for something quiet. I took my friend Skidoo for a ride and it seems like it turns so much better and my viper slides. Any other recommendations would be great
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the team! Be sure to post your specs so we know how to help. What model, shocks etc.
It's likely the rattling noise comes from the primary clutch, as is normal on these. Try listening on both sides while engine runs.
It could also be an exhaust leak, for example, the header - check for exhaust residue. Or even a loose bolt or something.
Personally I don't think these sleds make that much noise stock, but there are cans that will make it super quiet. I run a 2,5" straight pipe so I wouldn't know about those..
Handling all comes down to adjusting the suspension properly. If it's possible, add more pressure to the front shocks, this will put more weight on the skis. It may take some time, but testing and adjusting the whole suspension greatly improves your riding experience.

The loud can may be due to it coming apart inside. Some of the fist year models (2014 - 2015) had this issue. Look in the FAQ section of the SR Viper forum and there will be info on the can issues and how to address them.
In the FAQ is a set-up handling section as well. Read through it and you will have the info you need to start tuning to your liking.
I have a 2014 Viper RTX and it handles as good or better than the much newer sleds my buddies have. I sent all of my shocks out for rebuild and custom valving to Bruce at B-Line Control in Lindstrom MN. His shock setup made the handling of this sled come alive. I also have studs down the center of the track, use StudBoy 9" dually carbides and have the front/rear weight distribution at about 60/40.
Check the drive shaft and jack shaft bearings on the speedo side - follow instructions in FAQ to check/re-grease. Get rid of the jackshaft "wobble" bearing in the chain case and upgrade it and the jackshaft to the 2017 or newer parts. It is not if this bearing will take out your chain case it is WHEN it will take it out. Use the info in the FAQ to make your tri-hub bearings serviceable and read through my write-up for replacing your reverse actuator when it goes. Lastly, get the most recent reflash for your ECU to stop the backfiring and cold/hot start issues.

Back