• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

18 mtx drop rolled chain case

murdered141

Snow Punisher
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sr viper 15 ltx dx, mpi 190 turbo, straight line header, 38" mtx front end, mtx steering, mtx seat, xtx 141" skid and 2.25" power claw track
2019 sidewinder xtx le, sleeping for now
Anyone have any insight on this, is the case just rotated for a flater approach angle, does it use same lenght chain as 17 mtx, does it lower the jackshaft?

The chain case and chain are longer. I believe it's about a 1 1/2" drop and rolled back somewhat to better accommodate the 3" track with larger 8 tooth drivers. There is a noticeable difference when you see a 2017 and 2018 side by side. For proper driver to rail tip clearances, the rails are also different.
Jack shaft is in the same position. Pretty sure the D+R chain case also has a drain plug.:)

The chain case and chain are longer. I believe it's about a 1 1/2" drop and rolled back somewhat to better accommodate the 3" track with larger 8 tooth drivers. There is a noticeable difference when you see a 2017 and 2018 side by side. For proper driver to rail tip clearances, the rails are also different.
Jack shaft is in the same position. Pretty sure the D+R chain case also has a drain plug.:)
Thank you for the informative response.
Here's my objective and i know i got my #*$&@ all backwards but im a sucker for a black sled.
I turned my 15 viper ltx into a 141 mtx, now im looking at getting the 18 sw mtx 153 in black and throwing a 1.75 bc in it, a 41 bottom gear and new chain and putting the mountain spindles on the viper and my old 42" trail front end on the sw, i need a long track trail burner that can handle off trail as well.
Im also wondering if the bulk head on the sw mtx has block of plates where the sway bar would be on a trail sled or if its entirely different?
Maybe i should just get an xtx and call it a day.
:dunno:

Pretty sure the bulk head is the same, with the mountain sleds having block off plates like you mentioned. I believe that MTX has 8mm mounting bolts for the upper A arm bushings, while the wider front end sleds that use the non-mountain spindles use 10mm bolts.
You should be able to just use the matching A arm sleeves with the corresponding bolts to swap the front ends over though

Pretty sure the bulk head is the same, with the mountain sleds having block off plates like you mentioned. I believe that MTX has 8mm mounting bolts for the upper A arm bushings, while the wider front end sleds that use the non-mountain spindles use 10mm bolts.
You should be able to just use the matching A arm sleeves with the corresponding bolts to swap the front ends over though
Ok so it sounds like i should be able to throw a sway bar on and i already know about the hole size differences as i put a 38" front end on the ltx, had to do some drilling and swaping bushings but everything works as it should.
I also used country cats online parts look up to check chaincase and chain part #'s between a 17 m9000 162 and an 18 in the same variant, all part #'s came back the same, so i should be able to get an xtx chain and a 41t bottom gear and make everything work

Yeah, the front end swap should be no prob! One thing to keep in mind is that for 2017, the M9000 (King Cat) received the D+R chain case while the Sidewinder had the standard chain case.
F0r 2018 both sleds have the D+R chain case. Having a D+R chain case wouldn't be a bad thing though as long as you can get a chain for the taller gearing. The D+R chain case is an improvement for off trail as it reduces trenching by a significant amount.;)!

Back