• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st 16 turbo / Engine Failure

I'm new to this forum.. I have a Viper LTX LE 2016 MPI turbo and yesterday after 93 km 4.5 turbo boost, the push rod blew a hole in the engine. I did my purchase at the spring booking
Bob
I am realy sorry for you! Hope yamaha will help you FAST FAST FAST......

Je te le souhaite vraiement!!!

Its hard for me too say that but. YAMAHA you #$%&*:home:

Last edited:
To the original poster:

Was this an MPI trail kit?
Was your EABC disconnected or the new one put in?
What boost were you running?
What were your AFR numbers like prior to this?
What fuel were you running?

I have a dog in this fight so I am a little more curious than others may be.

inrbigness yesmpi trail kit yes eabc new on in no gauge to comfirm dealer install said 4.5 boost

There's no reason I can see to say you over boosted or too lean.

I have gauges on my 16 trail kit and everything is bang on. I haven't heard one person say the 16 kit wasn't set up right.

There's no reason I can see to say you over boosted or too lean.

I have gauges on my 16 trail kit and everything is bang on. I haven't heard one person say the 16 kit wasn't set up right.
Ouffff

I was looking at 2016 viper's yesterday on the Yamaha website and they DO NOT list a turbo for the 16's but they do list one for the 15's......this will be interesting

So it appears that Yamaha feels the turbo is no issue in the US, just Canada?????????? Around here the turbo option was heavily promoted for the 2016 Viper, my dealer installed at least 6 of them on 2016s.

Yamaha heavily discounted the kits to the dealers about 2-3months ago. Right before the first failure was found out about. Almost bought one myself. Maybe they need to sell More before word gets out.

inrbigness yesmpi trail kit yes eabc new on in no gauge to comfirm dealer install said 4.5 boost

Bob, are you aware of the issue with the EABC? They shipped the ones flashed for 15lbs of boost with the kits. The dealers are supposed to replace them with the properly flashed units that limit to 4.5lbs. The problem I have found is many are not up to date on this issue. If you had the wrong unit then it would lean out the machine pretty quick. Can you confirm that it was either changed or disconnected at the time? I feel for you and may be in the same boat at some time. Can you keep us informed as to what Yamaha is doing for you please.

^ +1

I had to inform my dealer of the EABC problem. He had no notification of it, but then again, he is a smaller dealer and I was only viper buyer that he had to purchase the turbo kit via snow check

If you have a rep coming to look at it like you said your dealer did good and I bet Yamaha will take great care of you.

Back