• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2 Fog or Not 2 Fog - That is the Question

I've owened many 4-strokes and always put oil in through the plug hole before storing for long periods of time. Since pulling your plugs is a bit of a task on these sleds its easier to fog through the air box. Its true that if you do not fog you may not have issues but my theory is why take the chance. The fogging oil protects the upper part of your cylinder and rings from corrosion which 'could' be very costly. Just my 2cents.

For years I did the seafoam/stabil and periodic starting in the off season. After the crank bearing failure and a $1700 rebuild on the wifes sled I have become paranoid.

Unfortunately I have too many toys and no longer have a garage stall to store the sleds in. I now store in an enclosed trailer outdoors exposed to temperature and moisture variation.

Will probably fog and change plugs after starting in the pre-season.

I've never fogged any of my 4 strokes since I had a rx warrior in 04. My 07 attak has over 9000 miles on it. I never fogged it, put anything in the gas or used a battery tender. I park it in the trailer in March, and usually take it out around the beginning of December to check it over and do some maintenance before the season. I cycle the key two or three times and it fires right up.
Original plugs and battery are still in it.

i've never fogged a 4 stroke engine before. we would only ever fogg our old ski-doos. mix half a liter in the last tank of the season, then holding the oil pump wide open for a minute til its completly blue out the exhaust. pulling the plugs and putting some down the cylinders. cleaning rave valves before putting away ect.
with 4 stroke sleds we dont have to worry bout crank bearings. upper cylinders could be prone to alot of condensation during the summer, but if your garage is reletivly dry i wouldnt worry about it.
if your scared bout moisture, or storing them outside, go buy 2 cans of fogging oil and spray 2 cylinders at a time.
how often do you see the mechanic at the car dealer walking around the parking lot pulling plugs and intakes just to spray them with fogging oil? cars sit on the lots for sometimes 2 years without being moved.

My dealer told me to do it this way:

Once the oil is changes fuel stabilized and everything is done pull the spark plugs out and spray into the hole for 3 seconds max. Replace spark plugs and put it away for the summer. Remove battery and charge it once a month. In the fall start it up and let it run for a while and pretty much wait for snow.

I have never fouled a plug or had any problems.

Is it not near impossible to properly fog a 4 stroke compared to a 2 stroke?

I am just curious how fog can get down to the crank/bearings like it can on a 2 stroke sled?

I do know the intake valves on our sleds are plain old steel.They will rust over the summer.Is pics around here somewhere.I think that rust probably leads to some having trouble at beginning of season then magically goes away.The rust probably isnt any good for the guides also.I would fog through intake or run it periodically till good and warm during summer.

I have started my '06 Attak about once a month and ran it until it was good and hot and spun the track a bit. Never had a single problem come riding season. I've never had to change a plug or had a problem starting.
This year however, I didn't start it at all and come fall I noticed my (original) battery was dead. Won't make that mistake again.
I don't care what experts say, starting them periodiacally means:
A- There is no "off season" for the sled.
B- You get to hear that sweet sound every month.
C- It makes that first ride so much sweeter after giving yourself the jones every month.

Re: fogging

gun nut said:
Would you fog a car when storing?
Yes, if long term. I do fog my 4 stroke lawn mower, and lawn edger, and pressure washer, and generator, over the winter.....although summer came so early this year, I guess it wasn't needed. LOL

Back