• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2 Fog or Not 2 Fog - That is the Question

snomobubl

Extreme
I had a problem with my wifes 2 stroke machine (Ski-Doo MXZ 500SS) a couple of years ago on first trip after summer storage. Crank bearing failed about 5 miles into ride. Since then, I have been religious about fogging the 2 stroke for summer storage.

Although recommended by Yamaha, I have not yet fogged the 4 stroke. However, it is probably just as prone to off season degradation and potential rust in the engine as a 2 stroke.

I am interested in how many are fogging the engine for off season storage. Is it as simple as removing the clips on the top of the air box and blasting into the throttle bodies? Thanks for the feedback.

I fog mine. In a 4 stroke due to it's design you are not protecting crank bearings but you are protecting the upper cylinder,rings and valves from corrosion. Same idea as dumping some oil through your plug hole only more effective

snomobubl said:
I had a problem with my wifes 2 stroke machine (Ski-Doo MXZ 500SS) a couple of years ago on first trip after summer storage. Crank bearing failed about 5 miles into ride. Since then, I have been religious about fogging the 2 stroke for summer storage.

Although recommended by Yamaha, I have not yet fogged the 4 stroke. However, it is probably just as prone to off season degradation and potential rust in the engine as a 2 stroke.

I am interested in how many are fogging the engine for off season storage. Is it as simple as removing the clips on the top of the air box and blasting into the throttle bodies? Thanks for the feedback.

Doubt if doo 2s crank bearing failure had anything to do with off season fogging.Very lucky to get fogging oil to 2s crank in any case unless you pour large quanity of oil in the plug hole & seeps to crank which is a bad idea in every way & you will be fouling plugs until burnt off.

whitedust1 said:
snomobubl said:

Doubt if doo 2s crank bearing failure had anything to do with off season fogging.Very lucky to get fogging oil to 2s crank in any case unless you pour large quanity of oil in the plug hole & seeps to crank which is a bad idea in every way & you will be fouling plugs until burnt off.

Where do think the fogging oil goes then? Every shop up here fogs 2strokes, sleds, boats and motorcyles. Everything that goes through the intake goes through the case first in a 2stroke.

A few questions- is fogging recommended in the manual for 4-strokes? What do you use and how do you do it? Is it less of an issue if you start the motor every 3 or 4 weeks over the off-season?

Starting the motor periodically in the off season is NOT recommended. I have heard this from mechanics in the aviation industry, automotive and Yamaha recommends that you not do this in their owners manual.

The reason is that you can introduce more moisture and acids into the motor. The motor needs to get to full operating temperature to remove moisture. Periodic start and idle will not get you there and multiple heat/cooling cycles can cause condensation.

Yamaha recommends fogging. I have not yet done it myself. Interested to hear the process from others. I think it is as simple as removing hood, removing airbox clips, removing top half of airbox and shooting fogging oil into throttle bodies while revving throttle above idle and below engagement. Is there more to it than this?

Also - Do you need to change oil afterward? I have already changed and do not want to have to do it again. What about plugs? Do they get gunked up in the process?

YammyRX1

Regarding what to use - you can use any fogging oil that can be found in most automotive and marine stores and most discount chain stores.

I have used StaBil brand fogging oil as well as Pennzoil Marine Fogging Oil on my 2 strokes.

Somebody else will have to chime in on the "How To".

Take off breather and with sled at idle spray in alternating cylinders a generous amount of fogging oil but not too much as to cause the motor to stall. Then shut down until next year. Its possible you may foul a plug but doughtful. No effect on your moto oil as the fogging oil never touches your motor oil.

I've been starting my 4 strokes every 4-6 weeks and letting them run till they get good and hot (5 minutes min.) and have never had a problem. Yes I know that the manual says not to do this but I like that it keeps the battery charged over the summer and keeps the critters away. ;)!

I do fog my 2-stroke. Just my 2 cents worth.

After just going through a plug foul scenario I don't think I would ever do any fogging on my sled and on a 4stroke I think it's a waste and your risking gumming up your plugs and putting deposits on your pistons and valves. Plug change is a 45min-1hr. job in a heated shop. I think I know why I have read so many threads about fouled plugs at the beginning of the season.
Just my 2cents.

I start my RX and Viper once a month during the off season and bring them up to operating temperature. No fouled plugs, no clogged pilot jets and no excessive oil usage. Has worked extremely well for me. :Rockon:

I think I'll continue to start it periodically and let it warm up through the off-season as I have never had any issues. I've never cleaned the carbs and it has always started and run fine- if it ain't broke....

I guess I should have started the snow blower once or twice through the 'on-season' too.

I never start or fog..my wifes or mine...we store them in a warm place..and not in a garrage with no windows..you need to open the window to get the dampness out...as long as you are not in a damp area it will be fine..you dont fog a car when you store it in a nice warm,not damp spot.Or do you...none of my friends do that to thier sports cars.I fog my 2-smoke cause it has no oil in it so it needs the fog oil to stick to the crank. ;)!
..I have done this with my sleds for now 6 years and have had no problems..

we've always started all our stuff when not in use during the off season. keeps the carbs from gumming up. but the fuel injected ones we dont. just run a few gallons of av gas mixed with sea foam thru them to keep the gas fresh.

Back